45 - O Cebreiro

45

O Cebreiro

Wednesday, June 30

More mountains to climb. From less than 2000 feet above sea level in Villafranca, they would more than double their elevation today, but almost all of the gain in the last six miles of their nearly 20-mile walk. Makena and Jordan were ready, and there was no World Cup for two days, so they faced no TV-watching deadlines.

The pair left before sunrise, a little short on sleep, but they'd have a relaxed next couple of nights. Dawn inspired them. Makena gave Jordan one of her killer smiles and he lit up inside. He thought that he wouldn't mind seeing that expression all the time. Her smile was like the sun.

There were a few clouds high above, but the cumulus just added texture to the varied hues as the day grew brighter. They had to walk near a highway part of the time and were ready to jump over the retaining wall if a car came too close, but this early there weren't many drivers, and they made better time on the dry asphalt.

A trail led away from the road. They shed their warmups and continued. Makena followed Jordan for a while, noticing some things about him.

He is so fit. I'll bet he could walk forever. Long and lean. Nice looking rear end. Hmmm. I'm still heterosexual, no doubt. I still can't believe how sensitive he is to what I'm feeling. Thank you, Camino, for giving me a new friend.

They moved easily together, their long legs making good time. The path became wide enough so they were able to walk alongside one another. There were a few birds, unseen in the occasional trees, who sang to them.

"The beauty of the day has me feeling spiritual," said Jordan. "Are you religious?"

Makena smiled at him.

Another deep conversation. Good. We're getting to know each other.

"I'm not much into religion. My parents are sort of Lutherans, but not that devout. That's the biggest religious group in Sweden, where my grandparents are from. But we hardly went to church as I grew up. I attended some Catholic services that my best friends invited me to, out of curiosity. I don't have a specific belief in Jesus or God. However, I believe in something. A higher power, or maybe some sort of greater being without a particular form. But like we talked about before, out in nature I feel small and grateful. How about you?"

"Agnostic is the best definition, but it's a little complex. Growing up with a Protestant father and a Hindu mother, I felt like I couldn't choose only one or the other, as if it would have been taking sides, and they were okay with that. Part of what worked between my parents was respecting religious freedom and tolerance between the two of them. I've read the Bible and the Bhagavad Gita, the primary Hindu scripture. I'm not as familiar with Islam or Buddhism, but I think the common thread among them all is respect for one another, like the Golden Rule. So I believe in religious ethics and treating others with kindness. And like you, looking at stars or the forest around us right now, I also am so thankful for the Earth's beauty. So while I'm not religious, I am spiritual. My understanding of agnosticism means I believe in the possibility of a God, but don't accept the existence of such just on faith alone. Maybe God exists, but I'm good with not knowing for sure."

"Makes sense. I guess for me a lot of it, what you call ethics, is about how we are with each other."

Jordan said, "There is an old song by the Youngbloods that my Dad taught me."

"Get Together?"

He nodded.

"My folks love that song. Yeah, it has a wonderful message."