6 - Greta

6

Greta

Sunday, May 16

The next morning, Jordan checked and saw his knee was still swollen, but perhaps not as badly. He wasn't sure.

Will I be able to continue walking in a couple of days?

He shared coffee with Carlos and discussed his book ideas some more. Later he was waiting in the albergue's lobby when Greta arrived.

She took off her large dark glasses so they could see one another indoors. "Do you have swim trunks?"

"Yes, I'm wearing them under my shorts. Do I need a towel?"

"No, the hotel has plenty. Let's go." She led him out the door. Greta had on a dark red wrap loosely covering her body, pink sandals, and the same pearl earrings. She put her arm through his elbow briefly, to get him started in the right direction, then dropped her arm to stroll alongside Jordan.

It was only a five-minute walk to the hotel. They crossed the spacious lobby where Greta waved to workers at the front desk, then they turned right to enter the pool area. There were a variety of lounges, with optional umbrellas. It was a cloudless day under the warm sun. They arrived at an area that looked occupied. "I put my things here earlier," she explained. "How is your leg?" She alternated between English and Spanish.

"It feels a little better, but is not good yet." He sat.

"I can see your left knee is swollen. Is that a scar on it?"

"Yes, that's where they did the arthroscopic incision. I had something similar done on the right one when I injured it playing soccer a few years ago, and it's solid and strong now, so I'm optimistic about the left knee too. Similar injury."

"So your right knee has not been the problem?"

"Just the left with the more recent surgery. I hope it heals. I want to walk to Santiago. It's not about earning the Compostela given to pilgrims who finish the hike. I got that when I did the Camino Frances years ago."

"Then what is your purpose in walking again?" She leaned forward and touched his knee.

"It's because I'm researching the book. I could travel by bus and learn the route that way, but my character will walk in the novel. We'll see."

Greta touched the scar with her fingertip. "Would you like some more ice? I have some in the cooler."

"Yes, but after a short swim. Thank you. When we speak English, I think your command of the language may be better than mine. I don't detect much of a German accent, either. Did you have great teachers there?"

"Since my mother died when I was young, my father took me everywhere with him. I attended English international schools when he spent at least a year developing his different hotels in Singapore, the Bahamas, and Costa Rica."

"I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Mine also passed away when I was a teenager."

Greta touched his hand and squeezed it briefly, acknowledging the shared bond of loss between them. She met his eyes. "I am sorry also, Jordan. I hope you keep her in your heart."

"I do. She was a wonderful, caring mother. Do you remember yours?"

"Yes, a little. I was seven when she died. She had a delightful smile and a fine sense of humor. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out."

Jordan nodded in understanding.

Like you.

Greta watched as he took off his shirt and shorts, revealing his black nylon swimsuit. She admired his lean physique and powerful legs, watched him as he entered the water, and while he began swimming a few laps. Meanwhile, she took off her outer garments and rubbed oil onto her skin before lying down.