26 - South Africa Hosts

26

South Africa Hosts

Friday, June 11

"Top o' the mornin' to ya, lass."

"And the rest of the day to yourself, Jordan. But I must say, that may be the worst Irish accent in the history of the world."

"Now, Grace, that's impossible. You told me yourself that you're only 25, not old enough to judge anything involving the entire existence of our planet!" She chuckled as he smiled.

It's always a delight listening to that infectious laugh.

*****

Professor Santana began his class by telling them Diego had an announcement to make to everyone.

"The first of two games will begin at 4 p.m. this afternoon. This is not a homework assignment, but you are welcome to practice your Spanish as my Mexican team gives a lesson to the hosts from South Africa." He suggested a bar that would show the game, which was the same one that Manuel had shared with Jordan.

The class cheered, except for one good-natured boo. A South African named Jan said, "Nelson Mandela and I all invite you to show respect for the home team this afternoon. Madiba, one of Mandela's names meaning chief, helped end apartheid nearly twenty years ago. We now tolerate even the presence of those from Mexico!"

Diego laughed. "While we instructors neither suggest nor encourage gambling, Jan and I have a gentleman's agreement regarding a cerveza on the outcome today."

"Please note that Diego and I agree we are both gentlemen," said Jan. "Despite what some think!"

"Professor Santana?" asked Jordan, and Luis nodded. "This is an example of the issue of trust we talked about earlier this week. As soon as one of them buys a beer this afternoon, confidence levels will increase."

"Yes," agreed Grace. "And if someone promises his pharmacist or anyone else a beer, whether or not he buys it for them will measure integrity levels for him as well." She smiled at Jordan, and he returned the grin.

*****

That afternoon, his hiking partner Raul arrived in Salamanca and showed up at the albergue. Jordan was delighted. "Perfect, amigo. We get to go watch the first World Cup match this afternoon!" They hugged and Jordan helped him get settled. After a shower and rest, Raul briefly used the computer to send an email, then they walked with Grace to the bar. Jordan introduced them, explaining how he knew both of them to each other.

"Grace, you are very beautiful, but my heart has already been won by a Basque woman Jordan and I met in Caceres. I hope you are not too disappointed, but I am a one-woman man."

"Thank you, Raul," said Grace, smiling. "I appreciate your honesty and consideration in telling me before I got my hopes up too high."

"So things went well between you and Danele?" asked Jordan.

Raul smiled, nodded, and his eyes glazed over. "Better than just well. Amigos, she and I share a strong interest in tennis. You might say we're a match."

Grace nodded. "Well, I hope she is as adept with the English language as you are. So you stay in touch?"

"Yes. We already email each other every day. I had a minor injury so I had to remain there for a while."

Jordan said, "Good timing. He had not suffered much walking with me for a couple of days. The malady had a very sudden beginning, about when Danele smiled at Raul."