47 - El Beso

47

El Beso

Thursday, July 1

Jordan woke up feeling great. The bee-sting anaphylaxis episode seemed a distant memory. Makena's fast response minimized his allergic reaction. And the music celebration that she organized with Michelangelo was a treat. He smiled, used the restroom, filled his water bottles, and joined her in the lobby.

"Hey, Makena. Thank you again for creating the songfest last night. New songs, and oldies, reminding me of the ones my parents played. From EpiPen injector to concert organizer, you are the best." He raised his arm and offered a fist bump.

She lit up, smiling broadly. "You're more than welcome. When I saw Michelangelo while I was purchasing our picnic, it just came to me. You started it during our walk by shouting to him about music being the language of the world. He and I agree with you about that. I like how we are both adding to and enjoying our supportive community on the Camino."

"Me too." He smiled back.

Wow, she looks good. Hard to believe she's the same person who was so angry when she thought I was hitting on her in Astorga. Her smile lights me up.

"So it's a relatively easy day for us of 14 miles. Later today the downhill becomes steep, so my knees will want to go slow."

"I'm in no hurry. I have an interesting conversationalist with whom to pass the time."

"Oh, good. I'm looking forward to an introduction."

She laughed.

Since they started over 4000 feet up from O Cebreiro, it was cool. Early morning fog had settled down into the valleys below. The distant mountaintops seemed like they floated out of the mist. The sun wasn't directly visible yet, but its rays slithered through a narrow opening between some fluffy clouds, sending down shafts of light like arrows shooting toward the earth below.

Jordan looked at Makena and said, "Wow."

The dawn and this woman together. So much beauty. Both are superb.

She smiled. "The peaks look like islands in a white sea."

He nodded. "As if it's a gift from Spain. I do so appreciate all that this country has to offer. It's not like Espana is perfect. Some of its past is painful, but we have the time to learn from it as we gain knowledge for ourselves."

"I know what you mean. I've had a tough time getting over my hurt at the betrayal. But I know the healing is better than it would have been if I'd remained in Seattle. Even when my friends' grandmother passed away, it felt like I became stronger because I chose to go on by myself, like everything was for a reason."

"Yeah. When my wife died, I just wanted to shut down. I had made promises to her about persisting, moving on, getting past my depression, and starting to live again. But I didn't really want to pursue any of those. Now I do. I still feel pain and miss her, but it's not as hard. And then a new friend helps me out, or I get a wonderful music performance surprise, and it fills my heart. It's what Oriana wanted for me. I will never forget her, but I can't change the past. There's a lot of life ahead. You and the Camino remind me of that."

"Yes. It's what I want for you and also for me. I won't forget my ex, and won't ever let go of what I have to learn from all that. I need trust with those I care about, and even though it's harder for me now, I know it's worth trying for. I have that with my parents and Delta and Bayou. I want the same in a relationship. I don't want to be afraid. It doesn't mean I won't be careful, but I have to fight against shutting down all possibilities."