58 - Muxia

58

Muxia

Saturday, July 10

Makena opened her eyes and saw Jordan smiling at her. She smiled back and said, "It's weird to be staying in one place for a day. No blisters or swollen knees to heal, either. We haven't done this since Astorga."

"I remember. It was a surprise to see you drinking coffee there that next morning. Who would have thought we'd get along and become so close?"

"That's true. You're my best male friend ever and in only two and a half weeks. Seems like forever."

Jordan nodded. "I feel more comfortable with you than anyone I've ever known for such a short time. Our Camino conversations and the unusual amount of time we've spent together have contributed, of course."

"And, for a guy, you are better at both opening up and getting me to do so than I would have thought possible." She touched his cheek and moved her fingers through his jet-black hair. "Thank you."

"My pleasure. I benefit, too. You're a special person, Makena." They kissed long and tenderly.

The open blinds on their window let in a hint of light as the sky to the east foreshadowed the dawn. "Do you think we could go swimming today? I wonder how cold the water would be?" she asked.

"Good question. We could check it out on our way to breakfast. The restaurant downstairs opens at 7."

"About a half-hour. Mmmm. I feel decadent. Maybe I'll take a hot wake-up shower."

"Good idea. We could have six or seven of them today!" They both laughed. "After you. I'll follow your wise lead in a little while."

They finished quickly and walked outside to the dock. There was no wind this early. They each knelt and touched the water, delighted to find it so warm. "When I visit my sister in Nantucket each summer, it's like this," Jordan said. "Heated by the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean. Swimming will be a treat."

She nodded.

At breakfast, they sat, eating and drinking their usual. Makena said, "I have been thinking about work. I need a new job and teaching is what I love, but if Luis returns to Seattle, I'll have the hassle of avoiding him."

"I can understand that. Hard to know what he'll do. When do you need to decide?" asked Jordan.

"Mid-July is the end of the window for inner-district transfers. If something opens up after the 15th, I can still apply, but then I'll have competition from outside the district as well. I keep checking options online."

"Keep looking," he said. "Today we have time. I'm gonna do some research for my book, too."

They finished seconds and returned to their room. Makena and Jordan put on their suits, grabbed towels, and went for a swim. The sun was up, and the water felt wonderful. After a while, they each swam over to the other in shallow water, where they could stand. Makena put her arms around his neck. She could feel Jordan's growth.

"It may not be as obvious to you, but I'm also aroused, Jordan. No problem with that for me. I feel easier now around you. But thanks again for your patience."

He smiled and they kissed passionately.

He gasped for breath. "Wow. You're stunning, but it's our emotional connection that makes this special."

"I agree," she said. "But I'm glad there is a strong physical attraction also. You're the total package."

She took her long fingers and slid them through his ebony hair above his ears. He reached up and parted her long blond tresses with his, and they kissed once more, then hugged for a long time. The small wave crests lapped up against their torsos. Jordan took her hand, and they headed back to shore. Their pension had a deck on the roof. They lay there in the sun, feeling the droplets evaporate, and each put sunscreen on the other's back. After half an hour, they returned to their room.