Chapter Forty-five

AS SOON AS WE arrived at the bonfire site, I could feel everyone's eyes on us. They were all seated on log chairs, grouped by team. I made brief eye contact with Mia and Trina, and they both had smug expressions on their faces. I turned beet red in embarrassment as Mia pointed towards the shirt that engulfed my body. I glanced up at the weight of everyone's stares. They were probably wondering why Corbyn and I were wet, and why I was wearing his shirt over my wet one.

"Wear it, I can see your..." I remember him blushing as he trailed off earlier when he handed me his shirt, while he remained half naked. 

I looked down and saw that my red bra clung to my white shirt quite embarrassingly. My eyes widened and I grabbed his shirt from him, pulling it over my body and successfully hiding the things that need to be hidden. It reached mid thigh, but you could still see that I had shorts on. He remained shirtless as he just brought his coat with him while we walked.

"Where have you two been?" Tyler asked the two of us, his scolding tone making me cower a bit in fear.

One month ago, I would have been overjoyed if I had gotten him or any of the crew members mad, but why do I feel afraid?

Gosh, things change. And I don't know if it's for the good or bad.

Either way, I feel stressed and pressured by everyone's stares. 

Mind your own business, people!

The other girls at the bonfire weren't able to speak because they were openly gawking at the shirtless boy band member beside me. I mean, I would be speechless too if I were them. The blonde boy, that was obviously the center of their attention, didn't seem to notice their stares. 

Corbyn glanced at me for a moment before he spoke, "Swimming. Did we miss anything?" He successfully diverted the topic so Tyler wouldn't let us go on a full on explaining spree, which I was thankful for.

Tyler narrowed his eyes at his answer and shook his head, "No. But we're just about to start. Go fix yourselves up and then join us." 

Everyone then went back to what they were doing before Corbyn and I had arrived. Mia was busy talking with Gabriela and Jack, her eyes ablaze as the bonfire's light dazed over her brown eyes. My eyes flew over mine and Jonah's team, and they were talking amongst each other. The sight of Jonah made me sigh. It seemed as though his mind was elsewhere as he stared off into the bonfire. He was probably thinking about his love affairs. My heart clenched at the thought, but I shrugged the feeling off. So what? I don't care..Or do I?

I sighed. I looked over to the other team and saw that Trina was talking to Zach animatedly while the latter just nodded and smiled at whatever she was saying. The cute couple's interaction brought a smile to my face. My smile was cut short when I felt something strange.

I could feel someone glaring through my skull, and when I turned towards my left, I saw a familiar pair of blue eyes watching me. My heart skipped a beat at the sight and I felt like there was a lump in my throat from looking at him. He had a blank expression on his face, but he was clenching his jaw. He looked quite tense. His eyes were emotionless. He was strumming a slow song on his guitar, but he wasn't singing. Instead, he kept his eyes trained on me, and I, him. The moment felt like it was forever, but in reality it was a mere few seconds.

I suddenly felt my arm being tugged. I accidentally broke eye contact with Daniel, turning towards the direction I was being tugged at. I saw Corbyn's hand wrapped around my arm.

"We better change." I heard him say, but when my eyes trailed on his face, I saw him looking elsewhere. His hand then left my arm, as he clenched and unclenched his hands on his sides. 

He had a hard look in his sea green orbs, and curiosity got the best of me as my eyes followed where he was looking at. My mouth went dry at the sight that greeted me. The two of them were intensely glaring at each other, and I have absolutely no idea why. 
Was this still about that night when Corbyn and I found him drunk and liplocking with Angel and they ended up hurting each other? If so, they should really move on. That was ages ago, and to put it simply, Angel and I are friends now.

"Yeah, you're right." I managed to say, grabbing his right arm and dragging him with me towards the initial direction of the beach house. I successfully diverted his eyes away from the blue eyed boy playing the guitar. Before turning away, my eyes met Daniel's for a brief moment. My heart did that thing again as it skipped a beat, and my stomach flipped.

On the way to the beach house, the two of us were quiet before my voice cut through the silence. "What was that all about?"

The sound of crickets chirping and the sand crisp underneath our slippers accompanied us in the night. He looked at me and feigned innocence, "What was what all about?"

I crinkled my nose and smacked the back of his head. "You know full well what I'm talking about, pretty lady."

He grinned, his pearly whites in full show. "Hey! I missed that nickname."

I rolled my eyes at his attempt to divert my attention from our discussion. "This isn't about the nickname, Matthew."

"Oh, I see how it is, Elora." He mocked, earning an eyeroll from me.

"I'm not even kidding. What was that thing about?" I pried, genuinely curious.

He pointed at the sky innocently, "Oh look, a star."

"Oh look, you're an idiot." I pointed at him, making him laugh.

"No, you are." He booped my nose, earning himself a glare from me. I hate it when people touch my nose.

Wait what are we talking about again?

Oh right, that thing with Daniel.

I gave him a pointed look as I halted in my steps and he followed suit. I put my hands on my waist. "Stop trying to change the topic."

He put his hands on his waist, intending to mock me again, but I gave him a threatening glare, so he dropped his hands to his side and sighed in defeat. He looked at the sky for a brief moment before he gazed at me again. "Look, whatever that was, please drop it."

I was perplexed, "What? Why?"

He gave me a long sigh as he began walking away from me, and into the beach house. "It's nothing, just drop it."

I sighed, dropping the subject and then following in his footsteps into the general direction of the beach house. However, while walking, I felt someone's eyes burning holes through my back. When I looked over my shoulder, my stomach flipped and my throat went dry at a sight that pulled on my heartstrings. Because when I looked over the bonfire site, my eyes met his again. And they looked sad.

-
If you wish to read more of this story and my other books, kindly show your support by voting, commenting your thoughts, sharing this book, and by following me!

Be part of the #PITAfamily!

Happy reading! :)