S2: 29 | The Savior

"No one had ever told her this basic fact: not everyone got to be loved." — Lauren Oliver, Panic

Chapter Twenty-nine
-

NOTHINGNESS STARED BACK at me as I felt myself start to regain consciousness. My fingers trembled as I desperately writhed to check if they were still working. My chest nearly convulsed when I took a deep breath to see if my lungs were still frozen.

When I didn't inhale ice cold water, nor did I not feel anything— that's when I noticed that something wasn't right.

I'm not in the lake.

I'm not drowning to death.

I'm still alive.

My eyes snapped open and they were immediately greeted by someone else's ceiling. Dark blue paint engulfed the ceiling above me. There was a small dangling fluorescent chandelier in the middle of the ceiling.

I sat up in the unfamiliar bed, my mind at complete unease as I took in my surroundings. I'm inside a well-lit room with dark blue walls and gray lines at the corners of each one. My phone was on the bedside table that sat on my left and I could see the ice skates from the park, winter boots, the coat, and all the other things I borrowed from Angel set down neatly on a small wooden chair across the room.

"Where am I?" My hoarse voice came out no less than a whisper.

Almost immediately, a man's voice wafted towards my ears, making me instantly sit up straight and alert.

"You're in a guest room in my home." His voice greeted.

My eyes shot to where the voice was coming from. My eyes slightly widened when I saw a man that looked like he wasn't that much older than me standing next to the bed I was lying on. He doesn't look like a pure French guy for me. He looks like he has Japanese or Korean descent in his blood.

He has black hair that was chopped in a clean cut that fell right above his nape, he had sincere electric blue eyes, a straight button nose, and baby pink lips that made him look like he came straight out of a magazine.

He was wearing a white muscle tee that accentuated his body built that looked like it was sculpted by God himself, and a pair of gray sweatpants. I couldn't see his feet but I'm pretty sure he was wearing inside slippers.

"I can see that." I couldn't bite back the sass that slipped out my mouth.

"Why am I here?"

He quirked a perfectly shaped eyebrow at me, obviously taken aback by my straightforward demeanor.

I mean it's not everyday you save someone who's frowning in a freezing cold lake and have them sass you, is it?

"You almost drowned in the lake. Lucky I was passing by when I finished my shift at the hospital." He told me.

He handed me a small plate with two different colored pills and a glass of water. "Drink this, it'll help with the pain."

I looked at the plate skeptically, then at him. "Are these safe?"

He scoffed. "Of course they are."

"Hmm." I hummed, narrowing my eyes at him as I took the two pills and the glass of water from the plate in his hands.

"Just drink it up." He stated, offended that I didn't trust him.

Well, who would trust a complete stranger?

"I'm a doctor, I wouldn't want to get my license revoked because I poisoned an underage teenage girl." He added with an eyeroll.

"Hey watch the attitude." I snickered at him. "It's normal to not trust a person you just met. I don't even know your name Mister Doctor."