Chapter Forty-one

"I PROMISE TO be on my absolute best behavior, Dad!" I raised my left hand as an oath, mockingly pouting at Kenneth, who was driving our group to the venue of the after party.

The awards night had ended quickly, and I couldn't be any happier. It was utterly boring, though I did meet some of my idols, Billie Eilish, Audrey Mika, and became besties with Shawn Mendes, so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

I remember pulling Billie's Gucci shirt up and down when she passed by our table earlier. "Psst. Billie."

She looked at me with narrowed eyes and a confused look on her face, "Hi? What can I do for you?"

I pulled her face to mine and whispered in a suspense-filled voice, "Where are the avocados?"

And then after that we just clicked. She laughed at my obvious Billie Eilish pun and sat with me during the boys' performance. We talked about anything and everything. When she said that I looked familiar to her, I pointed at the black paper taped on the table assigned to our team. WHY DON'T WE was printed in big bold white letters.

Her eyes widened in realization, "Oh you're from that reality show! What's your name again? Is it Kai?"

I laughed, "Oh that's the duck I stole from the pond. I'm Charlotte, but you can call me Lotte."

Since the girls and I got our phones back, I was able to get her number as well. You wouldn't believe me if I told you but, she was the one that wanted to stay connected. I was so happy I could burst.

Somewhere along the boys' song, I remember her pointing at one of them and saying, "He's been looking at you for the whole duration of the song."

But when I looked at where she was pointing at, the strobe lights from the stage hit my eyes and I wasn't able to see who. Billie took a huge number of photos and boomerangs of us on her phone and even asked for my instagram username. She even called me her friend.

"You want to bury me?" I remember joking about her statement, to which the two of us cackled at.

To say I was ecstatic was definitely an understatement. I had the time of my life while talking to her.

Kenneth rolled his eyes at my childishness, "I mean it Lotte. Jonah isn't around, so you're basically on your own."

Ryenne raised her hands to speak, "Where's Jonah?"

Chesca shrugged, "After they got their award, Jonah went MIA."

My brows furrowed at the newfound information. Jonah wasn't usually like this. He was the responsible one. He wasn't the type that just runs away and leaves all his responsibilities.

Kenneth glanced at us through the rearview mirror with a small frown on his face, "I just wish Jonah doesn't do what he did last time."

Chesca held a questioning look on her face, "You mean to say, this has happened before?"

"Ooh, tea." Ryenne leaned in as we awaited Kenneth's answer.

The burly man shrugged, "More times than you could imagine."

Ryenne's eyebrows furrowed, "How come we've never heard of this?"

"Management has a way of hiding things from the press. One time, when he was MIA for the band's interview with James Corden, the boys had to lie for him. They said he had food poisoning when n reality he was--" He murmured the last part to himself.

"What was that, Kenneth?" I questioned, interested in whatever he had kept to himself. It may have been important.

The car abruptly stopped and Kenneth's mood suddenly shifted as he put on a fake grin on his face, "Nothing. We're here! Goodbye, be responsible!"

My eyes narrowed, "Okay.."

Chesca and Ryenne made their way out of the limousine. Ryenne was in a dark blue dress that reached mid thigh, her brown hair was up in a bun, and she had dark blue heels to match with her dress. Chesca wore a dark blue and black dress that also had dark blue shoes to match, her hair was up in a high ponytail. They smiled at the cameras that flashed as they walked to the venue.

I took a deep breath as I stepped outside the limousine, the bright flashes of the camera temporarily blinding me. I couldn't see properly, but luckily, I caught sight of my heels before I could trip.I kept my head low as the paparazzi started taking photos.

"Lotte, smile for the camera!" I heard multiple voices shout, but I ignored them. It wasn't that I was being purposely rude, I just don't like the fact that they're treating me like I'm someone famous or whatever.

Questions were being thrown at me as I tried to walk faster to get away. However, one particular question rang through my ears, and I couldn't help but look back.

"Do you know that Jonah is a manwhore?"

My heart thumped normally as soon as I stepped foot inside the venue. The familiar tune to Lost in Japan was playing in the background as people socialized, drinks in hand.

The place was littered with about a hundred musicians, and I couldn't find someone that I recognized. As my anxiety started to creep inside me, I shook my head off, maybe Chesca and Ryenne are just over at the snack table or whatever, and everyone else is just late.

When I spotted the comfort room, I bolted towards it, remembering the three women who gave me a task to do. I was supposed to remove my long white dress for the after party. When I got inside the comfort room, I went insde a cubicle and changed.

After I got the dress off, I remembered Mae's reminder to put dark red lipstick on. So I took the tube of dark red lipstick and a compact mirror she gave me earlier and applied lipstick to my lips, hoping that I did well, since I didn't know how these things worked. I folded the long white dress, rolled the belt, and put my stuff inside the white purse Mae handed me earlier. Surprisingly, it all fit.

As I was about to open the door of the cubicle, I heard the clacking of heels resound through the comfort room. "Girl, have you seen Janine? She was literally all over Jonah." I heard a high pitched voice gush.

"Ugh, you mean to say Jonah was all over her? Yeah, not to mention, he was also with Rose earlier." A second voice answered.

Jonah? Are they talking about the Jonah Marais that I knew? Because if they were, then that would be the explanation as to why he wasn't around for most of the night. 

"Yeah, whatever, what a playboy. Doesn't he like, like that hater girl from that reality show they have?" The first voice asked the second one.

Bingo! It was the Jonah I knew. I sat on the covered toilet seat so I could focus on their conversation.

"Yep." I heard the second girl answer. "But Janine said that Jonah's management or whatever is just using her to cover his affairs or something. I don't know, I'm not entirely sure but whatever. Let's not talk about that, come on. Let's go."

I then heard their heels clack against the floor once more as they left the comfort room. My head became woozy and my heartstrings began to snap in two at the newfound information. I was being used? I knew that Jonah was dilly dallying, but I wasn't aware that he could do such a thing. I thought we were friends. I guess this is what I get for believing that I could really be friends with a pop star.

I left the comfort room in a rush, in desperate need of a drink.

-
If you wish to read more of this story and my other books, kindly show your support by voting, commenting your thoughts, sharing this book, and following me!

Be part of the #PITAfamily!

Happy reading! :)

Question of the day:
Hi, are y'all okay? Stay safe! :)