S2: 44 | Confessions

"You know I'm afraid of change. Guess that's why we stay the same."- Noah Cyrus, July

Chapter Forty-four
-

THE ATMOSPHERE WAS tense as I waited for the curly haired brunette boy to answer my question. He kept looking everywhere but my general direction. It was right then and there that it clicked- he knew. He has the answers I'm after. He knows why the band is falling apart. He can help me help the band.

"The band.." Jonah shook his head two words in. He looked me in the eyes and I stared at his crystal blue ones that held an apologetic glint to them.

"I'm sorry, Lotte." He sighed heavily, chest heaving up and down. "I don't think I can say."

"I would if I could.." He trailed off, staring into the crackling flames and charcoal in the fireplace. "But.. I just can't."

I pursed my lips. How am I supposed to help them when I don't even know what's wrong?

I'm their mutual friend, maybe they would let me help, right? After all maybe it's just caused by a misunderstanding. These boys are family and I don't think anything in the world could break the relationship they have. But if one nitty gritty thing gets in between them and threatens to break the band apart, I'm personally tasking myself to get rid of whatever it is.

Scout's honor.

I started to speak so that he would ease up, "Listen I know it isn't my place to ask but—"

"Damn right it isn't your place." An angry new voice barged into the conversation, making both Jonah and I freeze.

My eyes darted to the doorway separating the lounge room from the kitchen and saw Daniel James Seavey standing there with a stoic, unreadable expression on his face, his body rigid. I couldn't tell if he was angry at me or not- but his actions make me feel guilty of a crime I don't even know of doing.

He was adorned in his usual black basketball shorts, and his feet were in white bunny slippers. He was carrying a mug with a teabag and some water stuffed inside of it. He must have went inside the kitchen without either Jonah or I noticing and overheard the conversation.

Daniel.. he's been avoiding me. I'm not just imagining it. Even Angel and Marie pointed it out. They told me that ever since the day I "kicked Lizzie's fucking lemon bitch ass"—as Marie oh-so-kindly worded it— Daniel has turned into some walking robot that didn't like anyone. I noticed his indifference when I let him and the boys out of their restraints earlier, but didn't think anything of it since I thought he was just having a bad day because of the stunt I pulled off. But with the look in his eyes, I feel like I did something wrong. Something terribly wrong.

And you know what?

It hurts.

It really hurts.

It really hurts that Daniel, the guy who called me his wifey and gave me such a memento on my birthday was looking at me the same way he did during the first days of the reality show.

It pains me to say this but.. I miss him.

I absentmindedly fingered the necklace he gave me that was wrapped around my neck, resting neatly in the middle of my collarbones.

I saw his eyes momentarily flicker towards the necklace I was fiddling with. Not even a millisecond later, his cold ocean blue eyes were once again piercing through my soul, leaving me absolutely senseless.

"Stop sticking your nose in everybody's business." He looked me dead in the eye, making my nerves skyrocket.

Jonah looked like he was about to defend my case by I held my hand against his chest, stopping him from going any further.

"I just want to help, Daniel." I managed to say without my voice shaking.

With my cold hands and the tense atmosphere you would think I was about to pass out. Well I am, but that's not the point here.

Daniel crossed his arms over his chest and raised his left brow at me. "Help?"

He scoffed, his eyes never leaving mine. He had a cold look in his eyes that made me feel as if... No it can't be..

"It's your fault." His distant words echoed through the half empty room.

Jonah tried to get up again but I pushed my hand firmly on his chest, not wanting him to interfere with the conversation. I know he means well but he doesn't deserve to be dragged down with me. I care about him too much to let that happen.

The fire crackled even faster along with the rate this situation was escalating, for the worst.

I felt my heart break and tears pricked my eyes but I held my composure. "What do you mean?"

My heart broke, and the tears that were threatening to spill were finally let out.

He snapped his head away from me in what I think is disgust and turned away. He started walking towards the stairs when he looked back at me with a mix of a pained and angry expression molding his face.
"We fell for you, Elora."

Through salty tears I could see his expression soften when he saw me cry. He gulped, turning away, but not before I heard him mumble..

"And it's tearing the band apart day by day."

-

author's note

jealousy physically hurts, bro