S2: 39 | I'm a.. Trophy Wife? EW!

"I might be schizophrenic 'cos I see things that aren't there. I picture us together, but in reality you don't care."- Schizophrenic, Ibiza Toledo

Chapter Thirty-nine
-

I PADDED INSIDE the pantry of the Why Don't We penthouse at seven in the evening, right after everyone left for the band's concert this evening.

It's been an hour since my conversation with Mia, and I'm more confused than I would like to admit to myself.

I shook my head.

Remember what Mia said, Lotte.

"I'm just kidding." Mia quickly took back what she said about me falling for the three of the boys.

I remember feeling so relieved when she said that earlier.

Me falling for the three of the boys? That's insane.

"You're just confused." She concluded.

"They make you feel things you've never felt before and expect you to reciprocate whatever feelings they have for you."

"They aren't being fair." She sighed.

"They know you're not experienced in that department and yet none of them are taking things slow- well except Jonah of course. He's like a turtle." She giggled.

I huffed, taking out a plate from the side of the pantry so I have somewhere to carry the food.

Jonah's been backing off every time one boy tries to get with me. It's like he knows his place. He knows where he and I stand and he respects that.

When he withdrew from the battle for my heart not so long ago, I was touched and relieved at the same time.

He actually considered my feelings. He prioritized what I felt over his.

That's something neither Daniel nor Corbyn has done.

He knew I was confused about my own feelings before, and yet, instead of pressuring me, he waited. He withdrew from courting me and became my friend because he knew I needed one while everyone was occupied with their own lives.

My heart warmed.

He chose me.

Even when he could have chosen himself.

My phone vibrated in my back pocket. My brows furrowed as I placed the plate on the small counter inside the pantry. I took my phone from my pocket and glanced at the notification.

As my eyes flicked through the words that were on the screen, the unsettling feeling I've had since I accepted this proxy project came creeping up my neck again.

My chest tightened as I clutched the phone in my hand. I didn't realize that my grip on it was too hard until I accidentally pressed play on the voicemail connected to the message I just read.

"Charlotte, it's been two months. You can put off—"

I pressed stop before I could hear the pre-recorded voicemail any further.

I took a small glance at the words on the typed-out message once more, before I completely exited the messaging app.

Deciding that the best thing I should do right now was to distract myself with food, I walked over to where the piles of cheese was and got a pack of Tillamook white cheddar cheese. I then went to where the crackers were. I grabbed two packs of snack crackers by Cheez-it.

I like my cheese and crackers.

Don't judge.

I walked outside the pantry and shut the door close. I walked over to the living room of the Penthouse and quickly turned on the television.