Chapter Forty-four

Play the song above.

-

THE CRICKETS CHIRPING and the splashing of waves was the only sound accompanying me in the silent, dark night. The BBG-that's what I call this Boy Band Games show now- Management took us to a beach house in the outskirts of New York. We've been here since 12 noon. By far, the food has been great. We had steak and caesar salad for lunch, then a turkey for dinner already. Don't ask me where they got the turkey in May, but I'm telling you, the roast was fiiine.

The camping trip's activities had already started. We were done with the team activities, and the only activity left was scary stories, and the slumber party. However, after dinner, instead of joining everyone at the bonfire, I decided to take a walk to the beach and isolate myself for a while. I had successfully avoided all possible conversations with Jonah Marais, which is good. He tried talking to me multiple times today. During the beach volley game; which we won by the way, thanks to my expertise in sports; during lunch, during the sandcastle building game, which we won third place because apparently, putting a pineapple and a rock on top of sand isn't good enough architecture; I mean, that's Spongebob and Patrick's houses, that's legendary; and lastly, during dinner. I refused to be in a milimeter radius of him.

I wouldn't want to speak to him after what had happened earlier. Especially since, there were no explanations or negotiations needed. He lied to me and supposedly used me. I can't talk to someone like that. I sighed, shaking the thoughts away. I'm supposed to relax.

I looked at the waves splashing and shivered at the sudden change of temperature. Since it was a beach, I thought it'd be a bit warm, so I just wore a thin shirt and a pair of normal running shorts. My feet were adorned with my white slides, and my hair was down, as usual. I rubbed my hands against my cold arms and let out a puff of short breath at the shiver that went down my spine.

"You cold?" A familiar voice rang, making me freeze in place, I then felt a warm, thick fabric engulf me in its comforting embrace.

"Thank you." I felt someone sit on the sand beside me as I gazed into the horizon. I continued looking out the water, with immense anxiety creeping through my whole body. Water. I dislike beaches because of it.

"Why are you out here alone?" I heard him ask.

"Because I am by myself." I deadpanned, dodging the question successfully.

I heard him chuckle, "I missed this feisty side of yours. Where'd it go?"

I pursed my lips and looked up at the stars, suddenly remembering Daniel's confession that involved them not so long ago. I wonder if he still likes me or if what happened that night when he confessed was just fleeting. Not a lot of feelings last, and that sucks.

"Oh you know, went shopping." I shrugged.

I felt him scoot closer to me, "Hmm. But why are you alone out here?"

"Because I like looking at the water?" I tried to convince the boy.

He looked at me with narrowed sea green eyes, and whispered, "But you're afraid of the water."

I rolled my eyes at the boy.He was hard to convince. "I'm not afraid of it." I scoffed.

"Right. If you aren't so afraid of it, go out there, then." He pointed to the water that looked so creepy at night.

I internally shuddered at the creeps that I was feeling. My pride wasn't going to let me live this down if I didn't go out there.

I'm not a scaredy cat.

Are too!

Am not!

Are too!

Look at me, I'm having an argument with myself.How stupid is that?