S2: 42 | My Anxiety & Me

"I suppose I love my scars because they have stayed with me longer than most people have."- Nikita Gil

Chapter Forty-two
-

THE FIRE CRACKLED, wisps of the heat swiftly moving along with the air flowing around me. The fireplace was a sight to see. Coal was slowly burning with each passing crackle of the sparks of flame. I could only imagine the smoke emission coming out of the chimney in big clumps of black smoke. Had it not been for the cold weather, I would have decided against the fireplace and opted for the heater. But the cold temperature of Canada wasn't friendly at all. It needed a lot of coaxing out of its freezing cauldron and lighting up the fireplace was the only way to get the cabin warm and heated up.

It's been roughly two hours since the boys woke up restrained and blindfolded on the cold wooden floors of this cabin in Alberta, Canada. It took a lot of explaining from Angel and Marie to get the boys out of their "we were betrayed and kidnapped by our employees" mindset, but we successfully completed that small mission and the boys were now resting inside their respective rooms.

Choosing rooms caused a ruckus. They were unstable, hungry, and confused, so it was quite understandable. It's not everyday you get kidnapped by your reality show winner's proxy and wake up restrained and blindfolded on cold wooden floors in a house in the middle of nowhere.

Though, through the chaotic mess that was choosing roommates for the only three vacant rooms for the boys, I was quite surprised to have a very calm and collected Zach and Jack who seemed to know exactly what they were doing. They had their wits on separating Daniel and Corbyn after what happened during dinner time.

"I feel like there's an elephant in the room we need to address." Zach said after a lot of obvious contemplating. His lips have been twitching uncomfortably for the past seven minutes, making it look like he's itching to tell us something.

All of us looked at him after he said that, expecting him to address whatever this elephant in the room is.

"I think it's time we talk about what happened before we all got here." Jack continued for him, eyeing all of us carefully, not wanting to gauge out a violent reaction.

"What exactly happened?" Marie asked, looking up from her plate. "A lot of things happened this past week, Jack. You need to be more specific than that."

"Lotte beat the living shit out of Lizzie on live social media and television for Corbyn." Jack shrugged like it was no big deal.

Daniel, who was sitting across of me and has been avoiding my eyes the entire evening roughly dropped his fork on the half empty plate, making the clank echo through the now silent dining room. A stoic look permanently etched on his face as his lips turned down in a disturbingly attractive manner.

"I'm not hungry." He stood up, the chair screeching across the wooden pavement, eliciting a disturbing noise that had everyone flinching in their seats.

I felt coldness flow through my heart when he glanced at me with frozen ice blue eyes. It was like the ocean I was swimming in was no longer there, and in its stead was a frozen lake, null and void of emotions, staring through my soul.

My breath hitched in my throat and I realized I couldn't tear my eyes off of him for even a millisecond. He caught my gaze in a trap, and I found myself wanting to jump through ice, with no care that I could possibly go through the same near-death experience in its freezing depths.

It took me almost a minute to realize that he tore his gaze off me and turned around hastily. My heart jolted in my chest, pain surging through it as though a knife had been plunged directly through my flesh and drove straight into my arteries. The neglect and rejection his eyes read to me made me hurt- and for a millisecond, I questioned my own feelings.