After Evelyn-Sam Taylor

Sam's POV

My heart sank into my stomach when the storm stopped and Evelyn was gone. She was now in 2019, where she belonged. I looked down, the fear returning when I realized the basement was still filling with water and I was still stuck.

I groaned as I tried to pull my leg free. "You've gotta be kidding me," I sighed under my breath.

"Hello?" I heard from above. "Is. . . Is someone down there?"

"Yes!" I yelled. "I'm down here."

I turned around to see a girl appear in the doorway. I instantly recognized her as Y/N. Her parents owned the main store in town and she was known for being particularly quiet.

"Sam?" She stuttered. "Is that you? What. . . What happened?"

"The beam collapsed on my leg," I explained. "I can't get it out."

"Okay," she stuttered again. She looked around, her eyes filled with fear. "Are you. . . Are you alone?"

My heart sank as I instantly thought of Evelyn. "Yes," I whispered. "It's just me down here."

"Okay," Y/N repeated. "I just. . . I um. . . Let me go get my dad. . . Or someone stronger than me. I'll be right back."

Y/N hesitated before turning on her heel and quickly leaving. I continued to struggle as the water got higher.

"Mr. Taylor?" I heard someone call out. I looked up to see Mr. Y/L/N looking down at me. Y/N was behind him with a boy named Steven. I instantly recognized him as their bagboy at the store.

"I'm down here."

"I can see that," Mr. Y/L/N chuckled. "Just hang on." He slowly and carefully made his way down. When they got to me, Mr. Y/L/N and Steven each grabbed an end of the fallen beam and gently lifted it. Once I was free, Y/N ran down the steps and helped me to my feet.

She wrapped her arm around my waist and helped me up the steps. When we got to the main floor of the house, Y/N helped me into the kitchen.

"I'll go get the doctor," Steven said as he ran out of the house.

"How did you get down there?" Mr. Y/L/N asked. I bit my lip, trying to think of a lie that they would believe.

"I heard something in my basement during the storm. When I went down to look at it, the entire basement was filled with water. I tried to go back upstairs but the beam collapsed."

"Well, don't worry. Everything is going to be okay," Mr. Y/L/N reassured. "Y/N sit with him while I go help Steven find the doctor."

Y/N and I watched as her father left. I turned towards her to see her blushing as we made eye contact.

"Thank you," I said, smiling at her.

"It was nothing," she said as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "I was walking by and thought I heard someone calling for help."

"Well, you saved my life, Y/N. Thank you."

* * * * *

After Y/N saved me, I ended up seeing her around town more. It started with a few hello's and how are you's. Eventually, I gathered my courage and went to the shop.

"Sam?" Y/N smiled said as I walked in. "What can I do for you?"

"Well," I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Actually, I was wondering if I could take you out tonight."

"Take me out?" She repeated, her cheeks burning. "Like. . . to dinner?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. "Dinner and maybe dancing?"