Protective Side of You-Stuart

"Seriously, Stuart?" I asked, running my hands through my hair.

"What?" He mumbled, not looking up from his phone.

"We're trying to solve this stupid problem and you are in la la land. Seriously, what do you do on your phone all day long?" I asked, rolling my eyes at the boy who was staring at his phone like his life depended on it.

"None of your business," he mumbled. I sighed before throwing a pillow at him. I covered my mouth and laughed when it hit him on the side of the head.

"Really?" He scoffed. I sent him an innocent smile, shrugging my shoulders causing him to roll his eyes before going back to his phone.

*****

A few hours later, we finally solved the problem with no help from Stuart.

"You know something Stuart, since you literally didn't lift a finger to help, you should be the one to stay late and lock up." Neha smirked as she tossed her purse over her shoulder and left.

He mumbled some incoherent words but stayed as everyone else left. Soon it was just me and him. "You don't have to stay," he mumbled when he noticed me still at my computer.

"It's fine," I sighed when I noticed him still on his phone. "I always stay. And besides, I'm pretty sure you don't even know how to lock the door."

This made him look up, sending me a glare. "Wow," I laughed. "I think this is the first time you've looked up from your phone all day!" I fake applauded. I laughed when he flipped me off before standing up and putting his phone in his back pocket.

"You can leave now," he grumbled.

"I'm good," I shrugged as I logged off my computer.

"I am more than capable of locking up on my own, Y/N. You don't have to babysit me. I'm not completely helpless. Besides, I'm sure you have more important things to do at home."

"I'd rather not go home," I mumbled with my back to him.

"Wait, what?" I bit my lip as I heard him walk up to me. "Why don't you want to go home, Y/N?"

"No reason," I stuttered, quickly walking away from him. I gasped when he grabbed my wrist and turned me around.

"Why don't you want to go back to your apartment?" He asked, not breaking eye contact.

"It's nothing," I stuttered. "Really, Stuart. It's just. . . Nothing, okay? Never mind."

I pulled my wrist out of his grasp and went back to organizing the office. He stood where I left him, watching me move around the office. "Y/N," he said softly. I ignored him as he kept trying to get my attention.

I gasped when he grabbed my shoulders and turned me around. "Y/N, talk to me. What's going on at home?" When I didn't answer, he kept pushing. "Don't you live with your dad?"

"Yes! Okay? Just drop it, Stuart. Please," my voice broke as the tears started to fall. I stepped away from him, turning around and wrapping my arms around myself.

I looked down at my shoes as the tears continued to stream down my face. I bit my lip when I noticed Stuart's shoes standing in front of mine. I gasped when he pulled me into his chest. I couldn't hold back the sob as I felt his strong arms wrap protectively around me.

"Let's talk about it" he whispered. Suddenly, I felt him press a soft kiss to the top of my head. He pulled away from the hug and led me over to the couch.

When we sat down, he waited for me to talk first. "I don't know when it started. . . Maybe after my mom left him. . . He drinks, all the time. And when he drinks he gets. . . Angry and. . . Sometimes he hits me."

"What?" I finally looked up at Stuart. "He. . . He hits you?" I couldn't form words. All I could do was nod. I gasped when he pulled me into his chest.

"I hate living with him," I said through tears as I buried my face in his shirt.

"Then leave," he whispered as he rubbed circles on my back.

"I can't," I stuttered, pulling away. "My mom lives on the other side of the country. I don't have anywhere else to go."

Stuart reached forward and caught a tear with his thumb. His hand stayed on my cheek as he whispered, "Yes, you do."

"Stuart," I sighed. "I don't have the money to move out and get my own apartment. I already have to buy all the groceries for my dad and me. I can't afford to live on my own."

"You can stay with me," he said, cutting me off.

"What?"

"My roommate just moved out so I have an extra room. There is only one bathroom, but we could make it work."

"Stuart," I sighed, standing up and beginning to pace back and forth. "You. . . You don't want me living with you. What if you bring a date home and your roommate is sitting in her leggings and a baggy t-shirt with no makeup on and her hair in a bun. I mean that's. . . That's crazy." I forced a laugh. "You don't want to live with me," I whispered.

He stood up and blocked me from pacing. "Yes, I do." I bit my lip when he cupped my cheek. "There is no way I am going to let you stay somewhere you don't feel safe."

"This is weird," I mumbled.

"What? Us living together?" He asked.

"No," I said, shaking my head. "I meant seeing this. . . This protective side of you."

I gasped as he pressed his lips to mine. Our lips moved in sync as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I snaked my arms around his neck as he led us back to the couch. I smiled into the kiss as he picked me up and sat on the couch. I ran my fingers through his hair making him moan.

I pulled away, breathless. I couldn't help but giggle when I noticed his glasses were crooked. I smiled as I fixed his glasses. I looked into his eyes and suddenly felt embarrassed.

"You still want me to live with you?" I whispered. I avoided his gaze and played with the buttons on his shirt.

He put his finger under my chin, making me look at him. "Now more than ever."