Faces From The Past- Stuart Twombly

Stuart's POV

I sat in orientation, ignoring the two old dudes behind me. I looked at my watch to see that this seminar was supposed to start almost ten minutes ago. I let out an annoyed sigh as I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

I was scrolling through Instagram when I heard the door open and close, followed by the clicking of heels. "Should've guessed it," I mumbled, not looking up from my phone.

"I am so sorry I am late everyone."

I froze when I heard the person speak. Something sounded strangely familiar about this woman's voice. I slowly looked up, my breath instantly getting caught in my throat.

Standing in front of the room was none other than Y/F/N Y/L/N.  I moved in next to her when I was 5 and we became instant friends. Her and I were practically joined at the hip until she moved away after we graduated high school.

She was my neighbor. She was my best friend. She was the love of my life.

And here she was, years later, looking even more beautiful than I remember.

I felt my heart beat faster and faster as I watched her tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. I couldn't stop myself from slowly looking her up and down.

She was just as beautiful as she was growing up.

I held my breath as she looked up and let out a small laugh. "I know what you are all thinking. Who the hell is this chick and why was she late? Well, this chick is Y/F/N you-don't-need-to-know-my-last-name and she is in charge of all your asses."

She smiled as everyone laughed. "And that," she sighed as she turned on the projector, "is my lame way of breaking the ice. I am the senior advisor of society outreach. That is just a fancy and confusing way of saying I am in charge of reaching out to social media, businesses and schools. This includes the same outreach program that recruited all of you. So, you're welcome."

She winked causing us to laugh before turning her and our attention to the board. "I was asked to give you guys a quick run-down of what it is we expect from all of you here at Google. Now, Google is not a "conventional" workplace," she smiled as she added quotation marks. "Having said that, we do have rules that you are required to follow, even though some of you may not end up working with us."

I couldn't take my eyes off of her as she seemed perfectly comfortable in front of a room full of people staring at her. I smiled as I thought about the shy Y/N who used to clutch onto my arm whenever we walked down the crowded hallway at school.

"Instead of just going on and on about what to do and what not to do, I decided to make this somewhat interactive. Under your seats are two paddles; one green and one red. I am going to ask you a question and it will also be shown on the board if when I talk it goes in one ear, out the other."

I looked around and smiled as many people laughed. There was something intriguing about how much she had grown up. Not just how much she's grown physically but how much her confidence has grown.

"It's pretty simple," she shrugged. "Lift up the green paddle for yes or the red paddle for no. Got it? If you don't, you probably shouldn't be here."

We laughed as she turned slightly towards the board and read the first question. "Let's begin. Having a beer with your boss."

I instantly raised the red paddle. Y/N scanned the room before her eyes landed on the old guys. She cleared her throat before sighing, "Some of you are under twenty-one."

The guy with dark hair instantly added, "But some of us aren't under twenty-one," he shrugged. "So if you want to grab a cold one with me, I'm happy to do that with you."