Her-Mitch Rapp

Mitch's POV

I was in the middle of my training session when I saw Hurley walk into the gym.

"Rapp! My office now."

I rolled my eyes when I noticed the snickers from all the other guys in the gym. I grabbed my gym bag and flipped them off before following Hurley to his office. When we got to his office, I noticed Irene sitting in one of the extra chairs.

"Afternoon, Rapp." She said, looking up from her phone.

"If you're here, it must not be good," I mumbled sitting next to her. She let out a small laugh as Hurley glared at me.

"We got a new assignment for you," she explained. "It's a little different than the ones you're used to."

"What is it?"

"Observe and protect," Hurley said with an amused smirk on his face. "Do you know who the United States NATO representative is?"

"Can't say I do," I shrugged causing Hurley to roll his eyes.

"Shocker," he mumbled.

"His name is Ian Walker," Irene interrupted Hurley. My eyes narrowed when I heard the name.

Why did that sound familiar?

"He is out of the country to discuss a treaty. You've heard of the terrorist group The New World right?"

I nodded, still trying to remember how I knew that name. "Arram Maliek is their leader. He calls himself, The King." Irene explained.

I snapped back to reality when I heard the guy's nickname and couldn't help but scoff. Hurley glared at me as he continued, "They took over several towns across India and are branching out to Iran and Iraq."

"What does this have to do with the us? With me?" I asked, getting bored.

Before Hurley could make a snide comment, Irene cleared her throat. "The treaty being negotiated is an antiterrorism treaty. It's purpose is to bring the nations of NATO together to fight terrorism."

"And Maliek has done just about everything he can to stop the treaty from being signed," Hurley explained. "His last resort is attacking the U.S. He plans to do that through the U.S.'s representative."

"So, you want me to protect him as he goes to his meeting?" I asked, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

"No," Irene said, shaking her head. I watched as she reached into her bag and grabbed a file, giving it to me. "You are protecting his daughter."

"His adopted daughter, technically speaking," Hurley mumbled.

Wait, adopted daughter?

I looked at him before looking down at the file in my hands. I bit my lip as I opened it. When my eyes fell on a picture of the daughter, I felt like I was sucker punched in the gut. I instantly remembered how I knew that name.

Ian Walker was the foster dad of an old friend of mine. Which means. . .

"Rapp? You okay?"

. . . Which means the daughter in danger, the daughter I have to protect, the daughter a terrorist group is targeting, is Y/N.

My Y/N.

Y/N moved in with the family in the house across from mine when we were eleven. She was new in town and didn't have any friends.

About a week after she moved in, I noticed some kids bullying her. They would throw things at her without the teacher noticing, trip her in the hallway, push her in gym. The stupid shit most eleven year olds did.

I always watched from the side lines, feeling guilty that I didn't say anything. That was until I overheard them making fun of her for being a foster kid. When one kid made a comment about her biological parents not loving her, I punched him in the nose.

After that day, no one ever messed with Y/N again. I didn't let them.

"Rapp!" I jumped when Hurley slammed his fist onto the table. "What is wrong with you?"

"What?" I stuttered as Irene and Hurley studied me.

"Why did you go pale when you opened the file on the target?"

"It's umm. . .  It's nothing," I stuttered.

Irene looked between the two of us before sighing, clearly losing her patience. "Mr. Walker has been out of the country, dealing with this treaty, for the last month and a half–about the same amount of time that his daughter, Y/N, has been at NYU."

Hurley looked at Irene before looking back at me and explaining, "We have intel that during her current semester, someone from Hansen's team has been posing as a student so they could keep tabs on her."

My blood boiled as I read through the file, imagining someone targeting Y/N.

"Is there a problem?" Hurley asked slowly, crossing his arms. Hurley's eyes narrowed when he saw my knuckles turning white.

"How long have you known that they have been watching her?" I asked.

"Well, the CIA always has eyes on someone as important as Walker, as well as his family," Irene explained, clearly ignoring the question.

"How long?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Why do you care?" Hurley asked before Irene could answer me. "Something personal?"

The look on his face made me want to punch it off. I stood up and rolled my shoulders. "No, sir."

"Good. We leave on a flight to New York tomorrow morning. Go pack."

With a nod, I quickly left his office. I turned the corner and leaned against the wall, taking the picture of Y/N out of the file and looking down at it.

Y/N was sitting at a table, studying. It was clear that she didn't know her photo was being taken. My lips curled into a small smile as I studied the familiar features of my best friend.

We were inseparable. I became protective of her after I stood up for her. We would walk through the hallways at school and her bullies would instantly turn and run the other way the second they saw me with her.

I celebrated with her when she was adopted. She mourned with me when I found out about my parents. She stood by me through all of my anger issues and outbursts. She was the only one who could ever calm me down and I was the one always willing to protect her.

And now someone was trying to hurt her. The anger returned as I thought of Maliek laying a finger on her. My breathing sped up as I pictured Y/N tied up, bloody and unconscious.

There was no way in hell I was going to let anyone take her away from me too.

Part 2 Coming Soon