Happiness is Everything- Dave Hodgman

Dave has always wanted the best for me. Dave and I have lived next to each other since we were little. Ever since the day we first met, Dave has always protected me.

Especially when I started dating someone.

About two months ago I started dating this guy from my class named Henry. He's great. He's funny, sweet, kind, but. . . There is something about him. I can't really put my finger on it, but I'm not as happy as I could be. It's better than being alone, I guess.

Dave and I were currently at a party that one of his friends were hosting. I looked through the crowded house, searching for Henry. "Hey, Y/N." Dave greeted, when I walked into the kitchen.

"Hey," I said refilling my cup.

"Whoa, you okay?" He asked as he watched me fill my drink up almost to the brim.

"I'm fine," I sighed before taking a long swig of my drink. He slowly took the red cup from my hand and put it on the counter.

"Y/N, what's going on?" He asked, softly.

I ran my hand through my hair and sighed. "I can't find Henry."

"Oh, maybe he's outside. I'll help you find him." He started to head outside, but I grabbed his hand and stopped him.

"Wait." He looked at me, waiting for me to explain but I didn't. I just stared at him. Suddenly, tears started forming.

"Y/N? What's going on?"

"I. . . I'm not that disappointed that I can't find him," I said slowly. The tears fell as I felt guilty for saying what I did. He scanned my face, trying to decide what to do.

"Y/N? Is everything okay? You're kind of starting to worry me," he mumbled as he cupped my cheek with his hand and caught a tear with his thumb.

"I honestly don't know," I whispered. I looked at his worried face and bit my lip. "Will you take me home?" I asked.

"Of course," he stuttered. He grabbed my hand and led me out of the busy house. When we got outside, I instantly felt the chill from the night air.

"Here," Dave said as he took off his jacket and helped me put it on.

"Thanks," I smiled. Once I had put it on I reached over and intertwined our fingers. We walked down the street in silence.

"Y/N, can I ask you something?" He asked suddenly.

"Of course," I said, looking over at him to see him looking nervous.

"Are you happy?"

I was taken back by his question. "Happiness isn't everything," I joked. I gasped when he pulled on my hand, stopping me from walking.

"Yes it is," he said firmly, but softly. "Y/N, happiness is everything and you. . . You deserve to be happy and if Henry doesn't make you happy. . ."

"He doesn't," I said, cutting him off. His eyes softened when he saw mine fill with tears.

"Y/N," he sighed, looking as defeated as I felt. The tears finally started streaming down my cheeks.

"Why is it so impossible for me to be happy?" I said weakly before a sob escaped my lips. Dave jumped forward and caught me as my legs collapsed. I gripped the front of his shirt as he pulled me into his chest, gently rubbing circles on my back.

When I had calmed down, I felt him kiss the top of my head. "It's going to be okay," he whispered. "He didn't deserve you anyway. None of the guys you've dated deserved you, Y/N. You are amazing and funny and kind and. . .and the most beautiful girl in the world."

I looked up at Dave as he whispered the last compliment.

"Then who does deserve me?" I asked softly, unable to look away from his eyes.

I watched as he hesitated what to say. For a minute I thought that I had misread things, that I had overestimated Dave's feelings. I opened my mouth to take back what I said but gasped when he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine.

It was a soft kiss that ended sooner then I would've liked. When he pulled away, he didn't say anything. "Dave," I whispered.

"I love you," he said before I could say anything else. "I have loved you for so long and I've had to sit back and watch as those boys never treat you the way I know I could. Please, Y/N. Let me treat you the way you deserve to be treated."

I grabbed his face and pressed my lips to his roughly. I smiled into the kiss as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer. I pulled away when neither one of us could breathe.

"I love you," I said still out of breath. I gasped when he picked me up and spun me around. I giggled as he put me down.

"I'm sorry," he chuckled as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "I just. . . I've been in love with you since middle school and I was always afraid that when I finally told you, you would laugh in my face or say no and I would lose you forever."

I stood on my toes and pressed a small kiss to his lips. "You are never going to lose me."

I gasped when he pulled me in for another kiss. Our lips moved in sync as we stood in the middle of the sidewalk. "I should probably officially break up with Henry," I said between kisses.

Dave pulled away and cupped my cheek. "I'll do it for you."