Screwed Up-Stuart Twombly

Stuart's POV

I walked into work feeling like shit. Taking a big swig of my coffee, I grudgingly walked over to my desk and sat down.

"Whoa," Lyle laughed. "Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, huh?"

"I lost Y/N," I mumbled.

"Wait, what?" Neha gasped.

I looked up to see everyone looking at me with wide eyes. "I screwed it up. We got in a fight last night and I said some really stupid shit."

"What did you say?" Yo-yo asked.

"Because of the project last night, I was late for a date."

"That's not so bad," Nick shrugged.

"It was our anniversary," I sighed pulling my beanie off in frustration.

"Oh! That's bad," Billy said.

"I'm sure if you apologize and explain, she'll understand." Neha tried to reason.

"Well, I mean. . . I tried."

"You tried?" Billy asked, sounding skeptic. "Stuart, what does that mean?"

"It started with me talking about the project and ended with me saying that the internship is important to me." I paused before adding, "More important than her."

"Dude!" Lyle yelled. Everyone started yelling, accusing me of being a jerk.

"I know!" I yelled, cutting everyone off. "Alright, I know! I'm an asshole. I'm a jerk. I can't believe I said that to her! I can't believe I told her some stupid internship was more important than her. I don't deserve her anyway. And now I've lost her forever."

"You don't know that," Nick sighed.

"Yeah, I do know."

*****

I woke up the next day, feeling just as shitty as the day before.

"Hey, buddy." Billy patted my shoulder as I walked into the office. "How ya doing?"

I laid across the bean bag, pulling my beanie over my eyes. "Well, I broke the heart of the girl I promised I would never hurt. I was an asshole who put some dumb job before the most important person in my life. I lost the love of my life forever and I can never fix it. Take your pick on however you want to phrase it."

"Never say never," Nick said, walking into the room.

"Thanks for your optimism old man, but. . ."

"Stuart?"

My heart jumped into my throat when I heard her voice. I jumped up, fixed my beanie and put my glasses back on.

"Y/N," I gasped.

"Hi," she said, her cheeks turning red. She looked around the room at everyone before looking at me. "Can we um. . . Can we talk? In private?"

"Of course," I stuttered. "There's the conference room down the hall." I walked towards her. I was about to grab her hand but hesitated and decided not to. "Follow me," I whispered.

I bit my lip as we left the office and walked to the conference room. I opened the door for her and held my breath as she walked in. I closed the door and watched as she walked towards the windows before turning to face me.

"Y/N," I started.

"About the other day," she said, cutting me off. "I'm sorry about what I said. I know how hard you've worked for this job and it wasn't fair of me to react the way I did."

"No," I said shaking my head as I stepped forward and grabbed both of her hands in mine.

"None of this is your fault, Y/N. I was a jackass. I didn't mean anything I said. Of course you are more important than this stupid job. You're my world. Nothing is more important than you. I love you, Y/N. More than this job, more than my friends, more than my phone," I added making her laugh.

"I screwed up, Y/N. I wish I could promise you that I won't screw up any more, but I can't. I mean, I'm an idiot. You know that."

"True," she said, taking a step closer to me. "But you're my idiot."

She stood on her toes and pressed her lips to mine. I smiled into the kiss as I wrapped my arms around her waist. Our lips moved in sync as I pulled her as close to me as I could.

We pulled apart when neither one of us could breathe. "You are my future. Not this internship, not any career. You."

"I love you, Stuart."

"I love you, Y/N. And I promise I will never put this internship, a career, or anything else before you. I promise that you will always come first."