Confidence is Sexy-Dave Hodgman

I nervously pulled on my dress as we waited in the movie theater lobby for the rest of our group.

"It's not going to get longer just because you keep pulling on it."

I looked up to see Dave smirking at me as he walked over. "I know," I sighed. "I just. . . I hate big group dates. Especially blind dates. Why did the girls think this was a good idea?"

I sat down on a nearby bench, wanting nothing more than to run home. I bit my lip as Dave sat next to me.

"Y/N," he said gently. When I didn't look at him, he reached over and grabbed my hand. "If you don't want to do this or be here, then why did you say yes?"

I sighed, knowing he had a point. "Maddy and Lulu have been bugging me for weeks about setting me up with this guy. I only said yes so they would stop bringing up how incredible Jeff is or how funny he is or how sweet he is."

"If you don't want to be here, let's just go. I'll take you home right now."

I looked up at Dave and laughed. "We can't stand up our dates, Dave. We agreed to be here."

"Well," he said, clearing his throat. "My date already canceled."

I turned towards him, my eyes wide. "Really? I'm sorry, Dave. . . Wait," I said slowly. "If she canceled on you, why are you here?"

He reached up and scratched the back of his neck. "Well, I knew how nervous you were and I wanted to be here for you."

I smiled before leaning over and pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "Thank you," I whispered as I leaned my chin on his shoulder.

"So?" He asked after a few seconds of neither one of us moving. "Wanna ditch?"

I sat up and hesitated. I looked up at him and bit my lip. "I'm sorry," I finally said. "I would. I just. . . I don't want to. . . I'd feel guilty if I. . . I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he said quickly, trying to reassure me.

We were silent for a few moments before it got too much for me. "I'm sorry your date canceled," I said to fill the silence.

"It's whatever," he shrugged. Even though he was acting like it wasn't a big deal, I knew he was lying.

"She's missing out," I smiled.

"Is she?" He scoffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's just," he stuttered. I watched as my best friend ran his fingers through his hair, sighing. "This seems to always happen. I just don't have luck with girls."

"Maybe you aren't meeting the right girls," I tried to offer.

"Or maybe I'm just. . ."

"Dave," I cut him off. "Don't you dare finish that thought. If girls can't see how amazing you are, then it's their loss. Soon you will find a girl who is just as crazy about you as you are her. You just got to wait."

"I don't think waiting is my problem, Y/N. I think I've gotten to the point where I'm just. . ." He shrugged, not finishing his thought.

"Come on, confidence is sexy, Hodgman." I teased him. He looked over at me, a small smile forming.

"I know," he sighed. "That's what my mom keeps telling me."

I laughed as I playfully nudged his shoulder. "Don't worry, Dave. She's out there. She's taking a while to get here, but when she does. . ."

He cut me off as he grabbed my chin and pressed his lips to mine. I froze, shocked that my best friend was kissing me. As soon as I was about to start kissing him back, he pulled away quickly.

His eyes were wide as he stared at me, slowly letting go of my chin. I watched, still speechless as he struggled to form words.

"I'm so sorry," he finally got out.

I opened my mouth to say it was okay, but we were joined by our friends. They were oblivious to the tension between Dave and me as they introduced me to my date and we headed inside.

Throughout the movie, I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss and the way Dave's lips felt on mine. I couldn't stop thinking about how amazing it felt to be kissed by him.

I looked down the row to see Dave already watching me. He quickly looked away, pretending to be watching the movie. I looked away, tears burning my eyes.

"Are you okay?" Jeff whispered.

I glanced over to see Dave watching us. My heart dropped when he stood up and quickly started walking out of the theater.

"Y/N?" Jeff said, trying to get my attention as I watched my best friend jog up the steps.

I looked back at Jeff, nervously biting my lip. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "Something's. . . Something happened. It's nothing too serious or bad, I just. . . I gotta go. I'm sorry."

"Oh, okay." He stuttered as I stood up and quickly headed up the stairs, after Dave.

When I got to the lobby, I looked around hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I sucked in a breath when I saw him just barely walk out the door. Before he could get to his car, I pushed through the theater doors.

"Dave, wait," I called out as I jogged towards him.

When I caught up to him, I grabbed his arm and spun him around. The second he was facing me, I pressed my lips to his. He didn't hesitate to kiss me back as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

I pulled out of the kiss, nervously biting my lip. I cleared my throat, hoping my cheeks weren't as red as I felt like they were. I hesitated before slowly smirking at him.

"You still want to get out of here?"