Jean Grey x M!Reader ~ From One to One

Requested by @TYBG48  

(Y/N) POV

"I can't do this, Jean!" I shouted across the training room. Jean Grey was tutoring me in the school for the gifted as I had her same powers: telepathy and telekinesis.

"You'll be able to, (y/n). Just let it come to you, alright?" I nodded, holding my hand out in front of me. Jean shook her head and stood behind me, moving my body into the proper stance; I blushed. My cheeks were crimson at this point as I felt her soft hands against my arms. "You okay, (y/n)? You look flushed."

"I-I'm fine, I should probably head to bed though. It's really late," I stammered, backing away a little. She nodded, kissing my forehead before heading to her room that she shared with Scott. As I walked away, my stomach sank; I loved her in more ways than one but knew it was stupid. "You haven't a chance, idiot."

"Hey, you good?" I turned around once I was at my door to see a concerned Storm. I nodded, resting my hand on the doorknob as I felt her rub my back lightly. I smiled slightly at her before heading inside and leaving her in the hall.

The next morning...everything went to shit. Jean was gone and Logan said someone named Dark Pheonix is controlling her. The courtyard was covered in flames as Jean floated ten feet off the ground with anger in her eyes; we locked eyes with each other for a few seconds before she flew off, disappearing into the clouds.

"We have to go after her!" shouted Logan.

"Everyone to the jet!" Scott yelled, grabbing my arm to start walking. Once in the jet, we sped off in her direction; Logan, Scott, myself, Rouge, and Bobby all sat in worry as we found her close to a lake. She stood at the edge, making the water bend to her will; Scott and Logan were the first out, I followed and ran ahead of them to see if I could try and pull Jean out.

"(y/n)! No! We have to fight," Logan warned, wrapping his arms around my waist to stop me from moving. I don't want to but we have to, stay here and don't do anything stupid, bub. I backed off and let the other three guys fight while Rouge and I watched. Claws, lasers, ice, and fire flew about with angered cries; I couldn't take it anymore.

"Fuck it!" I growled. I ran towards the fighting, levitating rocks and sticks to throw at all of them before reaching Jean and holding her head in my hands. Screaming erupted from us both as I tried to find Jean inside her mind, searing pain burst through my back as Dark Pheonix pressed her hand on my chest and shot fire through me.

"(Y/N)!!" My name was shouted by many voices as the world turned cold with darkness at the edges of my vision. The last thing I saw was Jean's eyes widen in fear as we both fell into the lake.

~~~TimeSkip~~~

Jean POV

I saw a light. It was calling my name, it looked like (y/n). A sharp pain burst through my chest as my eyes opened to see I was in the mansion's infirmary with every Xmen around me. I hugged Scott as I sat up, scanning the room to not see...

"Where's (y/n)?" I asked. The once happy faces were now sorrowful as I realized he didn't make it. My heart ached as tears rained down from my eyes with my head in his neck as sobs wracked my body.

"Jean, when you're better, we need to talk," Storm mumbled, tears trailing down her own cheeks. It's about (y/n). I nodded, laying back down to get some rest and heal a bit more. As I did, the bit that once sat in my stomach dissipated as if something holding me back was now gone.

I awoke a day later fully recovered and ready to leave the cold metal table I had slept on. Storm walked in with a small smile and a notebook in her hands. She handed it to me and my jaw dropped as I read the handwriting carefully. He loved me. I had only ever thought of him as a little brother but this...this hurt. He has poems written for me and little love letters started but never finished on almost every page.

"I had a feeling he loved someone so, I asked him about a week before everything went down and this is what he showed me. I promised him I'd keep it a secret as he requested but I felt I right to show you now that he's gone."

"He's gone because of me," I wept, watching as my tears fell onto his pages. Storm wrapped her arms around me, holding me as I let all this sink in.

~~~TimeSkip~~~

3rd POV

"We've been asked to deal with a public disturbance at a local park, seems a bit dangerous for just two so, I'd like you all to go." Professor X hummed as he spoke, looking around the room to look over how his students had grown after the last few years of training. The X-men all nodded and rushed to the jet with Jean and Scott flying it; he squeezed her hand as they flipped a few switches.

"You okay?" he asked, she nodded and kissed his cheek before they took off. Flying over Westchester was usually calm but the sight of a fireball flying straight to them said otherwise. "Hang on!" called Scott as the jet leaned left to evade to fire.

"Holy shit, it's (y/n)," gasped Rouge as she looked down below to see a figure hovering in the park below them that was indeed (y/n). They landed a few feet away before running towards him; everyone called his name out but nothing but the sound of fire reached his ears. His eyes locked with Scott (somehow) and pointed at him.

"ARGH!" Scott screamed as he held his head and fell to the ground in pain. After him, the others began to drop like flies as well, all except Jean. She knew him as was going to save him; she knew what the Pheonix could do to a person but nothing was going to stop her from getting (y/n) back now.

"I'm not losing you again, (y/n)!" she shouted while making trees and water beat him to the ground. She grasped his head the way he had for her and kissed him; flames surrounded them both as a red figure began to leave (y/n)'s body to turn him back to normal. The red light zipped into the sky as his body went limp in Jean's arms. "I've got you, (y/n). It's okay, I've got you."

"Is it over?" grumbled Logan. Jean nodded, watching as he pried (y/n) from her arms to carry him to the jet so they could get him to the school quickly. Jean stayed by his side the entire time to make sure she would never lose him again. (y/n) awoke a few days later as Jean was doing a routine checkup; her eyes lit up in joy once she saw his own flutter open.

"Welcome back, love." She smiled as she kissed his forehead.

"You know?" he asked, sitting up. Jean nodded and explained that she returned the feelings and had left Scott to be with him. "What about Logan?"

"He might be rough with you during training but he'll get used to it, he promised." (y/n) nodded and rested a hand on her cheek, kissing it softly as his heart fluttered with this new found love in his grasp.