In the Park: Habit

A little kid runs by carrying a ball. I watch as his mom chases him, both laughing. A little girl eats ice cream nearby, spilling some on her skirt. Dogs run around and play.

It's totally peaceful to me, and I smile and lean back on the park bench.

That's when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I jump and turn to see Habit standing there. He isn't covered in blood (thank God) and his clothes aren't torn. He could pass as a regular person.

"Hey, join me?" I ask.

"Sure." He sits beside me. "Y/n ... I'm in trouble."

"With who?" I ask.

"The Dogs. And the Stick," he answers quietly.

"Could they be here right now?"

"Yes. They could be anyone."

"Damn. Okay, so what do we do?"

"I have to get you out of here and to safety before they come and find you," he says.

"But where will I go?"

"Hello, Habit," snarls a man from behind us.

Suddenly, Habit is thrown to the ground hard. No one even blinks, but I run to him. When I look up, I see a Dog walking towards us.

"Damn it!" I hiss.

"You can't escape, Habit," says the Dog.

"He can try."

I grab one of his knives from his waistband and throw it at the Dog. He screams and collapses, ripping it free and then dropping it. Then he crawls on all fours at me. I don't know what to do, so I kick him in the face and punch his throat.

Gagging, the Dog disappears into thin air.

Habit looks up, finally regaining consciousness, and he shoves the knife away. He then helps me up.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Only my pride is wounded," he says.

"Hey, it happens to the best of us."

He smiles and kisses me. "Come on, let's go."

We leave the park behind, the people somehow oblivious to what just happened. I don't know what just happened either, but at least somehow, no one was hurt.