Planning the End: Habit

I sit out on the roof to my home, and stare off into the darkening sky. It's a Friday night, and I'm alone, as per usual. I just wish Habit were here. He's my demon boyfriend, in case you were wondering.

As the sun sets, I hear shuffling behind me, and turn to watch him carefully climb out of my bedroom window. I smile as he sits down behind me, wrapping one arm around me, and letting the other one play with my hair.

"Hi," I say, my voice squeaks a little.

"Hello," he replies. "Did you miss me?"

"You know I did," I say softly.

"I don't know how much longer I can hold on to this host body," he mumbles. "Evan is somehow stronger than ever, and he actually temporarily seized control. But I am back. Y/ n,  how are you today?"

"Bored, why?"

"Because I was wondering if you'd like to see my home."

"Of course I would!"

"Really?"

I nod. "Beats being here all alone. Remember that I do live alone, technically, and I so often get bored of the silence. Being in another's company is probably a good idea for a hermit like me."

He wraps his other arm around me. "Hold on tight."

Suddenly, we're sitting on the front porch of a house, or rather, a cabin in the woods. Habit doesn't say anything for a while, and I wonder what he's thinking about. I don't ask because he will tell me when he's ready. I hope.

"This is where it'll all go down," he says softly, almost to himself.

"Huh?"

"They'll kill each other. And I'll be free. Until the new Iteration Cycle begins, that is. But that also means I might need a new host body."

"Can I volunteer?"

"You actually want to be possessed?"

"Why not? It comes with having cool powers, right? And I'd always be with you, so  -  "

"You would be trapped inside your own mind," he says. "Forced to watch everything that I do with your body. Forced to see all my kills, all the death ... "

I sigh. "Why end this Iteration? Aren't you close to getting answers too?"

"Yes and no. I already have answers. But if I move on, I won't have you."

"You'll always have me, Habit. As long as you want me."

"You're crazy," he mumbles. "Why do you love me?"

"Because everyone deserves to find love. And your looks don't detract from your attractiveness."

"But this is just a suit. I am not like this. Think of being with and loving a giant werewolf-spider creature made of shadows."

"That's ... different."

He sighs. "I know. I just ... I can't have Vinny figuring it all out. Just like Jeff. So I have to risk it. I have to end them."

"How?"

"By making them end each other."