Cheer Up: Habit

I sit in my bed and stare at the wall. I don't really know why I'm so sad, I just am.

I haven't left my room for longer than it takes to go to the bathroom. I don't talk, I don't drink or eat. I'm just upset and I don't know why.

It's times like these that I wish my antidepressants were a bit stronger. But hey, gotta love the American healthcare system.

"Y/ n? Are you okay?" Habit asks as he walks over to me.

"No," I confess. "I'm just sad."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"So you're sad, but you don't know why?" he says.

"Pretty much."

"Hmm. Maybe you should just try to not be so sad."

"Habit, that's like telling a hobo to stop being homeless," I say.

He laughs. "Well, I dunno, I'm not good at this saying the right thing thing."

"That's obvious." I snort.

"Hey, no need to be mean," he says. "Maybe you should be grateful that you didn't get knifed like that Dog did the other day."

"Wow, is that ever a Habit thing to say," I remark.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I laugh, and then I realize I'm feeling much better. I look at him.  "I'm feeling better."

"So apparently that is something you can say to a sad person, telling them to be happy," Habit says.

I snort.

"Yeah. It just works for you."

"I'm cool that way."

"You're something."

He laughs. "You're funny."

"Aww, thanks," I say.

"Well, are you hungry now? It's lunchtime and I call the Reese's cups. They're mine, no arguing."

I toss my head back as I laugh. He's so bad at making me better that it worked. That takes talent. I take his hand and we head downstairs together.