Ghost of You: Jeff

It's been about a week since Jeff was killed. I'm not doing very well, as no surprise.

I sometimes lie in bed for hours and just think about him. I wonder where his spirit is. If he's still with me, despite being dead and gone. I'd like to think he is. At least, I hope he is.

And sometimes, I even think about joining him.

"Y/n?  I brought you some food," Vinny says, talking like a person who's talking to a wild animal.

"Thanks," I say, my voice a croak. I can barely talk through the pain of losing Jeff, but I got to remember that Vinny lost him too. Not just me. It's something that is really hard to remember.

"I miss him too, you know," he says quietly, sitting beside me as I eat some toast. "Sometimes I think I hear him in the house. Then I remember ..."

I look at him.

"You lost him too, Vinny. It's okay to be sad."

"I know." He sniffles. "I just try not to think about it."

"Never forget him," I say, my voice a little harsher than I intended. "I mean ... it's okay to mourn, but not to give up. He wouldn't want you to give up."

He looks at me. "Something tells me you're saying that for yourself too."

I sigh. "I'm not gonna lie, Vin. I have thought about it. But then I remember he wouldn't want it that way."

"I suspected as much," he mumbles. "I'm sorry I haven't been there for you, y/n."

"It's okay, Vinny. I know it's been hard on you too."

He nods, hugs me, then leaves me to eat in relative peace.

I'm sitting on my bed and watching old videos when I hear Jeff speak. At first, I think it's just the video buffering. But then I look up, and see Jeff standing in the doorway, albeit transparent.

I jump up and run to him, confused and shocked as I reach a shaky hand out to touch him, only for it to pass right through him.

"Jeff?" I whisper.

"It's me, y/n.  It's me."

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"More or less. But I am now that you can see me again."

"I'm so sorry, I  -  "

"You have nothing to apologize for, love. I didn't want that monster to hurt you too," he says.

"But he hurt you," I say, feeling oddly miserable.

"I know. I'm here for you, as always, y/n.  But please don't rush to join me. Find someone else. Someone who makes you happy. Love them, and when your time comes, I'll be there, waiting for you. Watching over you. I'll be your guardian angel."

I wipe the tears from my eyes. "I love you. I love you so much, Jeff."

"I love you too."

He leans down to kiss me, and vanishes. A cool wind brushes against my lips. I sigh and sit back down. Habit will pay for what he's done, but not today. Not now. Right now, I'm going to try and listen to what Jeff said.