This Broken Heart of Mine: Evan (Trigger Warning)

TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER!

I'm sitting by the window in my bedroom, staring blankly at a tree that sits several feet away from the glass and side of the house.

I'm not thinking about anything, really. Just staring off into space and wondering if anything is ever going to change, or if I am stuck living this life of constant sadness and frustration.

My gaze goes to the grayish sky and the somber mood that has settled over the world. Maybe the sky is depressed, too.

There's a knock on my front door. I look down, and see that it's Evan.

Part of me is happy to see him, but part of me is also mad that he's come. I don't want him to see me like this. I don't want him to feel sorry for me. I don't want him to find out that I am depressed as hell and decide to come in.

But I know that ultimately, I will just worry my friend even more than usual. And that's not worth it to me. I just need to gather my strength and get up.

Finally, I reach the door. I'm crying by now.

"Y/n? Y/ n, open up!"

I do as he asks.

For a moment, Evan just stands there, taking in my loose pants and hoodie.

"Y/n ... "

"I'm fine," I lie.

"Bullshit."

He brushes past me. I sigh and close the door, then lean against it. He looks around, then sighs, running his hands through his hair.

"Are you .... did you ... "

"No, I may wish I was dead right now, but I don't feel like hurting myself."

"Y/ n .... are you still on your meds?"

"Yes, I'm on the little fucking pieces of shit."

"Okay, uh, just ... Ah, fuck it."

He walks over and hugs me tight.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"I love you, y/n.  And I'm glad you're here, I'm glad you're safe, and whole. Please stay, y/n. It may seem like the end of the world, but I promise you that it's not. It gets better."

"How would you know? Habit is the one who rules over you with an iron fist. He's not letting go anytime soon, so I don't  -  "

"Calm down as best you can. And come with me. You can't be alone when you feel this way."

He takes my hand.

"Evan, I  -  "

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes."

"Then come on. Let me be the one thing that goes right for you today," he says.

_____________________
A/N: You're not alone. Trust me, I know. I've been through hell and back but it does seem to get better. So call 1-800-273-8255 if you're in a bad spot (it's the U.S. national suicide hotline).

It's never too late to embrace happiness. It's never too late to reach out to someone. Because trust me when I say that people would much, MUCH rather talk with you than talk about your life at your funeral.

"Happiness was always inside me, but Lord, it took a minute to find me" -  The Cure by Little Mix

I am not going to write many sad imagines (like this one) in the second book, because this one legit made me cry, so sorry to disappoint you.

I mean it when I say I love everyone who reads this story. You mean the world to me. And I want you to remember that. No matter what happens, I promise I am in your corner, fighting for you as hard as I can.

I love you with my heart and pacemaker, so hah. I win.

Xoxoxoxo ....