Unnatural: Habit

I wake up in an unfamiliar and cold place. It's dark  and I can barely see. I try to look around, and my blood goes cold when I begin to hear static. I try to reach my hands up to cover my ears, despite knowing that that won't work, when I realize that I am tied up.

I struggle against the bindings and look up as the Stick In The Mud draws close to me. It cocks its head and its face is aimed at me, and the thing seems to be looking right into my very soul.

The monster intensifies the static in my head, and I cry out in pain. It doesn't seem to care that I'm in agony right now, or maybe it feeds off it. I don't know and frankly, I don't care. I just know I have to get away.

"Let me go," I sob.

He gets closer.

"Let me go!"

I tried to make myself seem threatening, but I'm in so much pain and the static is so intense that I just can't bear it. My thoughts drift to Habit, and how pissed he'd be.

Speak of the devil, and he shall come.

Habit emerges from the shadows and stabs the Stick with a long machete.  He rips the blade free and then does it again.

"You leave her the fuck alone!" he yells.

The Stick In The Mud vanishes and Habit rushes over, cutting my ties.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't even think," I say.

"No. Don't apologize. You did the best you could. I'm proud of you for holding out that long against him."

"Well," I say softly, "I had a good tutor."

"Yeah? He must be pretty badass," he quips.

"Maybe it's a she."

He chuckles. "You're fine, aren't you? He didn't really hurt you?"

"I'm fine, Habit."

He hugs me. "I'm glad."