Sorry: Vinny

Everything is happening so fast.

I run through the woods as fast as I can, hearing the Slenderman's Dogs chasing me. They whoop and shout, hollering like a bunch of drunk hillbillies as they run after me. I just gotta make it to Vinny. Then, I'll be fine. I'll be safe then.

I reach a meadow, and a gunshot goes off, scaring me to my core as I run, ducking and weaving to make it harder to get hit.

And then everything comes into focus.

I pull out the knife that I grabbed before Habit transported me out into the world, and now I'm ready to use it. So I stop running and turn around to face the Dogs. They laugh as they circle me, then close in.

"Where did you guys learn to shoot?" I ask.

"Come with us, if you want your friends to live," says one.

"I'm gonna have to pass on that one."

"Very well. Kill her."

They close in on me, and I run forward, headbutting one of them in the chest like a ram, and then I sprint. I can hear them yelling and shooting after me. I feel a bullet graze the skin on my arm, and I yelp as searing pain flares up in my arm.

They're yelling after me. Getting close.

One reaches out and grabs my wrist, and without thinking or looking, I stab him in the throat with my knife, then rip it free and run.

The Dogs are shooting at me now. I am not sure how much longer my jelly legs and burning lungs can take me away from these monsters.

Gotta get to Vinny, gotta get to Vinny, gotta get to Vinny ...

One grabs my jacket from behind and yanks me towards him. I whirl around, and stab him in the throat. But then I realize something awful.

I just stabbed Vinny.

He falls, and I scramble to him.

"No, no, no, no, no," I say. "Please, no."

He gasps and struggles to speak, and I put my hand on his. "I'm so sorry. I thought you were ... one of them." They're closing in on us. I try to drag him to his feet, but he can't even move. "Vin, I love you so much. Please, don't go."

"Run," he gasps. "Please. Go, don't ... let them ... take you."

Tears streaming down my face, I stand up.

"I love you."

He smiles as best he can. "I love you."

"I'm sorry," I say, my fingers dripping blood. "I'm so sorry."

"Go!"

And so I do. I run.