Surviving the Heat: Jeff

It's at least a hundred degrees out, in the middle of August. Not fun.

"Jeff, my legs are stuck to the couch," I say, and he laughs.

"Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you're melting," he says.

"Oh no! What a world!" I cry.

He cackles at this. "Come on, I think we should go swimming."

"But that's outside."

"I know that, silly," he says. Then he gets up and sweeps out of the room.

A minute or so later, he returns and hands me an ice pack. I gratefully reach for it, but then he sits beside me and presses it to the back of my neck. I sigh in delight.

"This is amazing," I say.

"My turn!" he says, reminding me of a little kid.

I smile and put the ice on his neck. He sighs and smiles sideways at me. His big brown eyes look right into me, and I feel my soul melt, and not because of the heat.

After we take turns doing that, the ice starts to melt, so we return it to the freezer. Then we go outside and I run for the pool, climbing down the steps and into the nice, slightly warm water. He laughs and does a cannonball in the water not far from me, splashing me.

When he surfaces, he laughs, and we come together.

He wraps his arms around my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck, and then he kisses my lips. And I happily return the favor.