Chapter 8

"Taiga." someone said tapping my shoulder lightly. I opened my eyes and looked at kaneki standing in front of me. I remembered me and hide fell asleep on the couch together so I gently moved away from him and walked out into the hallway with kaneki. "Did he stay over?" Kaneki asked, almost sounding jealous.
"It sure looks that way." I said folding my arms. "Why?"
"He doesn't know anything does he?"
I looked at the floor. "Not about you. Or touka or Hinami."
"You told him about you?!" He shouted.
I jumped onto my tippy toes and covered his mouth.
"Shut up! And I didn't tell him he caught me being sick."
"Why would that make him think that you're a ghoul?" He peeled my hand off his mouth and darted his one eye at me.
"He made me human food..."
Kaneki then smiled. "You and touka are more alike then you think. She did the same for her friend. You two need to learn to get along, for Hinamis sake. You both care about her and she cares about you both as well."
"Hinami doesn't need touka? If I left, she'd come with me, with a heavy heart, but she wouldn't look back because she values family. Touka doesn't get that word. She thinks that because she's been around longer that that counts but in the real world it doesn't count for shit and she needs to realise this. Hinami and I are a solidified unit and touka can try to rip us apart all she wants but it's not going to work."
I go to walk inside but kaneki grabs my arm. "I understand it's not just Hinami that has lost someone, you have too, but you have to understand that touka cares about everyone here in her own way. She may not show it but she cares about you and Hinami. She wouldn't let anything happen to you because of Hinami, you're protected. She's an ally."
I pull my arm away angrily. "I don't need protecting. Not by touka and certainly not by you."
I walked inside and slammed the door. Hinami stood in the kitchen. "I made your friend some breakfast." She said smiling at the plate of food.
"Why don't you go give it to him then sweetie." I faked a smile. She nodded and walked over to him. She gently woke him up and gave him the food. He rubbed her head and looked at me happily. He tucked into his food so I left him and Hinami for a moment to get cleaned up, showered, dressed ect.
I got dressed into a pair of red shorts and a yellow top. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and walked out to Hide. I handed him his jacket and let him out. "I'll see you again soon." he said smiling.
"Yes you will."
He kissed me on the cheek and ran off. I smiled and shut the door.
Hinami ran over. "Is it okay if me and touka spend the day together?" she asks nervously.
"Hinami, you don't have to act nervous around me. Of course you can see her, but let me have a little chat with her first. I want to clear the air." I say walking towards the door because someone is knocking at it.
I open the door and Touka looks at me with the same blank look she gives everyone except Hinami. My heart instantly speeds up, but I know I have to do this... for Hinami so I step out and close the door.
"I know we really don't see eye to eye, but for Hinamis sake I say we put all of this behind us and act civil." I say kindly.
"For Hinami. Do you mind her coming with me for today?"
"No. I spoke to someone today and they reminded me that you really do love Hinami so I know you'll keep her safe. Ryo obviously trusted you, if she does then I need to as well." I opened the door and shouted Hinami over. She said her good byes and left with touka. I decided it was time to have some 'alone' time and get use to where I plan on living. I don't have work today so I'm free to do as I wish. I walk outside and smile at all the friendly people walking past, smiling or even waving as they make eye contact with me. Things would be different if they knew I was a ghoul. They wouldn't wave and smile, they'd run and scream or cheer if I were killed.
I could smell something, something delicious so I followed it. I got to an alley way and crouched down next to the dead girl on the floor. Her big brown, lifeless eyes remained open, capturing the fear she felt before she died. I ran my fingers over her eyelids, closing them and sighed. I stood up and dusted my knees. "So you are attracted to that smell." somebody muttered.
I turned around to see a man in a white suit.
"No. I saw her when I was walking past. We need to call the police." I nodded, acting brace.
He walked over and put his hand around my throat pinning me against the wall.
"I know what you are, and I know who you are." he says. I try to pry his hands off me but I can't he's too strong. All of a sudden two tentacle like things come from his waist and go straight into me.
"Rinkaku." I choked,  staring at his kagune.
"What?"
"Your kagune."
He smiles. "Yeah what's yours?"
I feel the tentacles dig deeper into my abdomen.
"Ukaku" I say trying to pull him away from me.
He uses his kagune to throw me against a wall. I lie on the floor, blood spewing out of me. Am I going to die? Is this an act of cannibalism? Is someone going to help me, or like that innocent girl, will I just be left here to die?