Chapter 1

Today something changed my life. I was walking to anteiku cafe when a ghoul attacked me. I was starving and weak.
"I don't want any trouble!" I begged.
"You smell good!" The ghoul shouted. He backed me up into a corner, I had no where to go and I've been travelling for days... I'm exhausted.
He grabbed a chunk of my hair and pulled me towards him.
"Please!" I cried.
"Yes! Feed me those precious screams!" He bit straight into my shoulder and pushed me on the ground. "You can't scream for help, because we're both ghouls, and you don't seem like someone who knows where they're going." He laughed.
My kagune was no use. I was defenseless and nearing death. What could I possibly do to pull myself out of this mess I was in? Years ago... back when I was stronger, this would've never happened. Nobody would have messed with me... or my friends, but they died and I guess I grew up. I realised fighting and acting tough was child's play, and when I realised that, it seems my attitude matured but my strength and logic became infantile.
"You've got such a pretty face." He muttered, crouching down in front of me, caressing my cheek. "And it's a shame that I have to do this."He raised his fist and as it closed in on me, I moved out of the way and watched as his fist hit straight into the wall behind me. He held his hand and began whining. Now, normally this would have been funny to me, but bleeding out of a wound inflicted by a cannibal took the humor out of this one for me. Shame right?
I lay on the ground holding my shoulder, looking up as this hungry ghoul, who just wanted me gone, now more then ever. Before I offended his manhood maybe he would have let me go with a few chunks missing. Maybe... wishful thinking.
A flash of red, and the cannibal was on the ground, at my feet.
"Who did that?" He shouted, staring at me.
"I don't know." I shrugged my shoulders so he grabbed my by the scruff of my shirt and held me up.
"Don't you lie to me girly! I'll make your death more painful if you lie to me again!"
"I really have no idea! You said it yourself, I'm new here." I held my hands up and there it was again... that glimmer of red... what was it, and what was happening?
The man grabbed the back of his head, letting me go simultaneously. I landed back on the ground, holding my shoulder once again, cursing my healing abilities for taking so long to kick in, and watching as the man grew angrier and angrier.
"I will kill her!" He shouted. "Do you want her to die?"
"I don't want me to die, and I really don't know these people!" I shouted nervously. "Let me go, and you can have them... deal?"
"Shut up!" He kicked me in the stomach, knocking all of the air out of me. I lay on the cold, dirty ground once again, but this time, I watched the man as he was stabbed with some extraordinary, long, tentacle kagune, and boy was I impressed, also a little angry for them putting on a show instead of helping me sooner.
I sat up, confused by the fact a random stranger had helped me, but then my eyes met with a boy with a mask. My eyes changed to the ghoul form. "Leave me alone!" I called out, holding my shoulder. He walked closer.
"You're hurt." he pointed at my shoulder.
"Was it that obvious?"
"Come with us and we'll help you" he held his hand out. I looked up and took his hand, apprehensively might I add.
"Us?" I repeated.
A girl jumped in front of me. "Touka and I will help you." he said.
My eyes shifted back to normal.
"Okay." I said nodding. My legs began shaking and I couldn't stand up properly so the boy put me on his back and carried me. "I'm kaneki. What's your name?"
"Taiga." I answered bluntly, trying to not tell him too much about who I really was.
We eventually got outside of 'anteiku' café, the place my sister was supposedly living before she was murdered. He carried me inside and upstairs and put my on the couch. "I'm Yoshimura and it is a pleasure to met you. I'll help you so you can stay here until you get on your feet." An old man said handing me a brown package. "You need to eat." I sat up staring at the package.
"Taiga?" A familiar little voice called. I turned around and there she stood. "Hinami?" I held back the tears. My niece? She ran over and lept at me. I picked her up and squoze on to her tightly.
"Mum and dad are-" hinami began.
"I know. I said hugging her. "I know"
Despite my sister dying, I have to stay strong for my niece. I held back the tears.
"Taiga-chan?" kaneki said from behind me. I turned around.
"I've brought you some coffee. Thought you might need it." he said placing it in front of me.
"Thank you." I continued hugging hinami some more.
"How do you know hinami?" He asked sitting next to us.
"She's mums sister" hinami said burrying her head into my chest.

Kaneki's POV

Taiga and Mrs Ryouko are sisters? Taiga looks nothing like her sister or hinami. Taiga is tiny, in size width and length and she has these huge brown eyes. Her hair is extremely long and curly and it's red, fades into orange then yellow, like fire. She's beautiful.

Taiga's POV

After I've had something to eat my wounds healed extremely fast so then I put hinami to bed. I sat on a small window sill so my legs are dangling outside. I hold on the the wall and lean back, letting the wind blow my hair.
"Don't worry 'Ryo. Hinami's safe now." I say feeling relieved. Hinami's safety is all that matters. I will not let anything hurt her now that I'm here. She is my only priority...