As Our World Crumbles

Jada POV~

Riley just left. He walked out the door without saying a word.

"Should we go after him?" Christie asks me.

"No," I tell her, "It's best to leave him alone for right now."

Christie nods sadly, looking back at the doctor.

"Can I see my grandson, please?"

The doctor leads us to the delivery room where all the babies were. He points to a very light baby that was in the corner wearing blue.

"That's him," Christie tears up. "My little grandson."

I smiled, he was a cutie. His little strawberry blonde hair sticking out the blue hat he wore.

As Christie admired her new grandson, I only looked at the doors Riley left through. I could only imagine how much this was for him. His son was here but his girlfriend wasn't. He had no control over anything. All he could do is watch from the sidelines and pray for the best.

"Poor Riley," I say to myself.

"Did you say something, hun?" Christie asks. I shake my head, giving a fake smile.

We got to go and see the baby a few hours later, holding him and getting to know him.

Christie held him first, smiling at him.

"Hi little baby," She smiles at him, "I'm Grandma Christie. You can call me Momma Chrissy thoug, I'm too old to be a grandma."

The baby started getting fussy, crying after a few seconds.

"Can I see him?" I asked her. She nodded, handing him to me. He probably wanted to be with his mom. Babies may have really small brains, but they were smart enough to know who carried them for 9 months, he sure as hell knew it wasn't either of us. 

I started rocking him, singing,

"It's hard to remember. Summer, or winter. When she hasn't been there for me. A friend and companion, I can always depend on. My mother, that's who I mean."

The baby started calming down, stirring a bit.

"I've taken for granted, the seeds that she planted. She's always behind everything. A teacher, a seeker, a both arms outreacher. My mother, that's who I mean."

Christie smiled at me, sitting up against the wall.

"Wish I could slow down, a hands of times. Keep things the way, they are. If she said so, I would give her the world. If I could, I would. My love and my laughter. From here ever after. Is all that she says that she needs. A friend and companion. I could always depend on. My mother, that's who I mean. My mother, that's who I mean."

The baby fell asleep. I smiled, calling in the nurse so she could take him.

"I'm going to go find Riley," I tell Christie, putting on my coat and walking out. I go outside, the freezing air hitting me instantly. It was almost 1 AM, the moon was out and the sky was dark. I looked around, not even knowing where I'd find Riley. 

I look at my phone, thinking for a bit. Where would he have gone? I called an Uber, thinking of one place he might be. 

It took me 15 minutes to get to my destination. My hunch was right, and Riley was sitting on the porch of our old house with his head down. Getting out the car, the smell of cigarette smoke filled my nostrils. 

Riley was smoking. It was almost rare when he did that and when he did, he was stressed to a whole different extent.

"Reezy?" I call. He says nothing, just keeps his head down, arms resting on his thighs. I sigh, walking up to him. "Reezy, I thought you quit."