Mom In Training

Its been a while since I saw Candice and Layla. With me going on tour and being gone for a few months, it would be nice to see those two again.

"I'm heading out!" I call to Reezy once we got home from school. 

"Where you goin?" He questions.

"To see Candice."

"Aight. Be back in an hour."

I say okay and head out. Layla lived a few blocks down from us in a large brown house. Even though it was just her and Candy, they lived in a large house and used to rooms for guests and Candy's toys.

I knock on the door and Layla opens it.

"Jada? Hi! It's been a while, come in."

I come in and Candice was playing with her toys in the living room. She looks up and smiles when she sees me.

"Jada!!" The girl quickly runs, hugging me as tight as she can.

"Hi Candy," I chuckle, patting the girl's head. Layla looks me up and down with a smile.

"You've grown. You look good though."

I smile, sitting down.

"How has everything been?" I ask.

"Fairly good. It's been really me at home a lot since Candy is in school."

"Oh yea! How's 1st grade, Candice?"

"It's so much fun! I made new friends and my teacher Miss Lily is nice!"

I smiled, happy to hear Candice was loving school.

"How are you?" I ask, looking over at Layla. 

"Tired, but I'm good. Been working a lot more shifts since Candy is out the house."

"Well that's good. You're making more money."

"How about you?" Layla asks. "How have you been?"

I shrug with a sigh.

"I could be better. My boyfriend is in college now in New York, my older brother is being an ass, and my other brother and I were left with no car-" I didn't realize it, but I was rambling. I stopped myself, apologizing for my tiny outburst. 

"Seems like a lot," Layla says. "I'm sorry you got a lot going on."

"No need to apologize, it's not your fault," I tell her. 

"If you need anything, just let me know. Me and Candy got more than enough to share with you and your brother."

I smile, thanking her. 

I stayed for a while longer before heading back home. Riley was on the couch watching TV when I walked in.

"I told yo ass to be back in an hour," He says, looking back at me.

"I lost track of time," I hang up my keys, going over to sit next to him.

"You know one of us gotta start working soon," Riley says.

"I know," I sigh, "But I need you here and I definitely can't work anymore."

Riley only sighs along with me.

"We'll figure something out."

Days went on and it was finally the weekend. Of course, Riley and I had no plan of leaving the house since we really didn't have spending money and I didn't feel like moving at all.

"You wanna rent a movie?" I ask. Riley was in the kitchen making lunch.

"Whatchu wanna see?"

"Well Black Panther just came out for rent. I know you never got a chance to see that."

"Oh yea! How much is that?"

"Like... $9-"

I was interrupted by the house phone ringing. Without looking at the caller ID, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jada."

My heart stopped.

"Huey?"

Riley peaked his head out the kitchen and mouth, "who is it?"

"Huey," I mouth back.

"I'm sorry for not calling you guys in a while," Huey says. 

"That's all you're sorry for?" I question.

"And for being a dick before I left."

"I feel like you owe us more than that Huey. You left us with no car, not a lot of money, and you haven't called in almost 2 weeks to even check on us. That's pretty dick-ish if you ask me."

I hear Huey sigh.

"I didn't call to hear all your complaints, Jada."

"I didn't say you did. But you finna hear every damn thing I gotta say."

Silence.

"Huey, you put Riley and I in such a tough spot. With me being pregnant and needing Riley's help, neither of us can work. Meaning, we're gonna run out of money soon. If I was to go into labor, there's no way of me and Riley getting to the hospital fast enough. Soon, we'll be fucked."

Riley came into the living room and set our food on the mini table in front of the couch. He looked at me and could tell I was upset. Without saying anything, Riley snatched the phone out my hand,

"Hello? Listen McHater, I'm glad you called to give a lil apology an all but you not finna ruin no peace here. Me and Jay finna watch this movie and enjoy our weekend.... I don't give a fuck if you wanted to check on us, if you actually cared, you would've called us when you first left.... So the fuck what??? I don't care. I don't. Bye nigga."

Riley hangs up, putting the house phone on mute.

"You think we're being too hard on him?" I ask.

"Hell nah! That nigga had no care about our feelings when everyone else was leaving."

"You're right."

Riley hands me my plate of food. I smile, looking at the pancakes, eggs, and vegan sausage in front of me.

"Let's just enjoy us, aight? We ain't ever get time to spend with each other and I don't need Huey bitch ass ruining that."

I smile and nod. Huey can be dealt with later.