Facing Your Past

Finally a POV change 🙃

Cindy POV~

Our next stop was Maryland. We had two performances there. One at JEC and one at a country club that was, I guess, popular.

Jazzy and Jay were reading over the website for the country when I got a call.

"Hello?" I ask, not even carin to look at the caller ID.

"Cynthia?"

My heart nearly stopped.

"Ma?"

Jazmine and Jada looked at me.

"I haven't heard from you in such a long time," my Ma says.

Christina McPhearson. A woman everyone knew to be drunk and depressed. I cut off my mama since I ain't wanna tell her what happened with that whole Cairo thing. I felt bad an all but you gotta do what you gotta do.

"What you want?" I didn't mean to sound annoyed but it came out that way.

"Well, I heard you and the girls were singing here and I wanted to see you."

"You drunk, Ma. You know as good as I do that yo ass neva wanted nun to do wit me."

"Thats why I wanna see you. There's things you don't know that I think you should know about now," she said. I froze. What the hell was she talkin about? There was only one way to know.

"Fine, when?"

"As soon as you can. Preferably before you go to that country club."

"Fine," I say. "But the girls comin too."

"Fine by me. Just please, I really need to talk to you."

I hung up, looking over at Jazzy and Jay who looked concerned.

"Everything okay, C?" Jada asks.

"Yea, my mama wanted to talk to me, thats all."

"How do you feel about that?" Jazmine asked.

"Ion know. I mean, Ma ain't neva wanna talk before. What could she possibly want?"

"Only one way to find out."

After we performed at JEC that night we went to see my mama the next morning. The house looked the same when I walked in. It was cleaner than normal. There would normally be empty bottles of wine on the floor and counter. Wine glasses everywhere and shredded old pictures. She prolly ran out of pictures.

"Cynthia?" Ma calls. She comes downstairs. She looked decent. No tear stained eyes, runny make up, and trampy clothes.

"It's Cindy," I tell her. I ain't really like bein called... That.

"I'm sorry, Cindy. Um," Ma looks at Jazzy and Jay. "Would you like to introduce your friends?"

"This is Jazmine and Jada. They my sisters," I smile at them and they smile back.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. McPhearson," Jada says.

"Oh, just call me Christie. But its nice to meet you too."

"What you have to talk to me about?" I question.

"Oh yes. I want you to be careful at that country club," Ma warns.

"Why?"

"Your father owns that club."

I blinked, staring at her.

"Wait but-"

"That makes sense," Jada said. "We were requested to perform. That wasn't planned like the rest of our tour."