50th piece: Broken player

The song for this chapter is I Wish by One Direction. Happy reading!

Oh how I wish that was me – One Direction

Voj

The clock stroke 12 and everyone around me cheered. I was in Australia at my friend's hotel. Harry held a party just for the New Year and everyone was enjoying it. The voices began to get louder by the second as we greeted each other. My friends began to toast for a drink so I raised my glass of red wine.

"Happy New Year!" We cheered and our glasses made clinking sounds as they met. I took a drink like everyone else. My friends and I met at Harvard and we were classmates in law school. Cara knew them all since we always ran into them when we have bond together.

"So it's 2017. A new year promises us more challenging cases." Harry said with a glint of excitement in his eyes.

"Yes. Some crazy cases we will have again." I chuckled at that. There are some cases which were different from the others. And by different, more complex cases appear and give us challenge. I like challenges though. For an hour, we chatted, keeping up with our lives. After that, I excused myself from them to call my parents. I went to the balcony to have my own privacy.

"Happy New Year!" Mom's voice was cheerful.

"Happy New Year mom."

"How we wish you're here."

"I will make it up to you." She hummed when she heard that.

"Promise?"

"Yes, I promise. Where's dad?"

"Oh wait. Just a second. Darling! Voj wants to speak with you!" She called for her for dad. I heard his voice getting closer and then the phone was passed over.

"Hello boy. Happy New Year!" He spoke.

"Happy New Year dad. Having a good time?"

"Yes. Our neighbors came over. Your brothers and sister are here too."

"Vie came?" It's sad that I wasn't there to see her. I missed her since she's currently busy with her studies.

"Yes and she's with her boyfriend." Surprise! Surprise!

"Boyfriend?" I would like to meet her boyfriend.

"Yes. Now Voj, please do not roast her boyfriend once you meet him."

"I can't promise you that." I heard his loud laugh.

"I have put him under pressure. Don't worry." He said in a low tone and I laughed.

"And?"

"He's okay. Vie glared at me all the time." I expected that. Maybe if I see them together, I will also receive that. I admit I'm protective over my sister. She's the only girl. Me and my brothers have the duty to protect her no matter what.

"Please tell my brothers and sister a happy new year."

"Sure do, son."

"So, are you having a good time there?"

"Yeah dad. My friends and I had drinks and Harry held a party for the new year."

"That's good. Well, enjoy yourself."

"Yeah. I will see you soon." We ended the call. I made my way back to my friends. My phone began to vibrate as it received multiple messages of greetings. I checked it and I replied Cara's message first.

"Looks like Voj is taken. Look at that smile." Kristian was smirking at me.

"Who is it?" Jan asked and tried to look at my phone.