34th piece: Bass

A rising singer will sing for you in this chapter. Landmine by FINNEAS is here to give you the feels. Please enjoy.

Music, when soft voices die,

Vibrates in the memory

~ Percy Bysshe Shelley

Caralei

I paced back and forth in my bedroom and the only sound that was heard was my black Campbell shoes thudding loudly. I checked the time and only 2 minutes left before Voj arrives. My heart was racing, nervous of what will happen tonight. What if he asks tonight? Should I say yes? Or no? My mind was in jumble and anxiety wasn't helping me either. I wanted to tell him no but I can't deny the fact that I want to try it. I wanted a man who knows me for who I really am and still stayed with me and wanted to actually go out with. Was this the sign? Did God gave me Voj as a sign that there's a possibility that I can trust myself with someone for a commitment? But then, another factor was added into my already complicated equation; Montessoro. He never asked me out officially but our deal and his honesty to me was all messed up. Who should I choose? I can go to Voj and still have the deal, I thought to myself. He asked for only a chance and it wouldn't be fair to him when I have given Montessoro a chance. Montessoro had made something that tore us apart while Voj was just there for me and now he wanted us to go out. I weighed the consequences between the two. Oh God! This was harder than choosing which pair of shoes was better.

"Caralei?" Dad's voice interrupted me from my own panic attack then he followed it with three knocks on my door.

"Coming Dad." I said as I checked myself in the mirror one last time. I wore a turtle neck sleeveless blouse paired with black skirt that billowed. I had put my hair up into a messy bun. I checked if my freckles were hidden and I was satisfied with the result. I walked towards the door and opened it.

"Dinner is ready and Voj is here. He is parking his car right now so let's go." He said before he led the way. I followed him and we ended up a few feet away from the front door. I suppose we would greet him here and not in the dining room. I smoothed my skirt as my palms became sweaty in nervousness of what's about to come. I have made my decision and if he asks tonight, then I will give him my answer. The moment we heard the knock on the door, Dad walked and opened it with a high- spirited greeting. They both shook hands while I slowly made my way to Voj.

"Hello Caralei." He greeted with his handsome smile on his face. He was holding a huge bouquet of princess spray roses. He offered it to me as Dad gave way. I looked at Dad and he was just smiling to the both of us. He looked back at Voj and I accepted it with uncertainty. What does this mean? Was he showing his affection? I looked at the bouquet which was heavier than I expected. They were beautiful. I love these.

"Thank you, Voj. These are lovely. I love it." I said as I carried the heavy bouquet in my hands. He grinned at me with pride booming over him.

"I'm glad you love them, Caralei." He replied.

"Great! Are you hungry, Voj?" He said as he gestured us to go to follow him.

"Yes sir."

"Perfect! Follow me then." He grinned at me and I expected that he will go to the dining room but he changed direction. I thought we were having dinner there.

"Where are they, Dad?" I asked as we went to the back door. He just gave me sideway glance with a grin on his face.

"Right this way." He said gesturing us to go outside where the garden was located. Voj and I looked at each other and Voj shrugged at me. We were a few meters away from the back door and we don't know what lied ahead.