100th piece: The Final Piece (Pt. 3)

You are my Sunshine, a cover by Moira De la Torre, is the song for this chapter. I love this version because it reminded me of my grandpa singing this song to me. 

Please don't take my sunshine away

Part 3

Caralei Romano

Being away from my dad while he was in the hospital made me think so much my head hurt. I was crying for an hour or two until there were no tears left for me to shed. I wanted to be strong, I really do, but the pain and fear for his life was heavier in my heart. Montessoro led to the bedroom of his plane. I was thankful for that. He's so thoughtful to think that I needed some time alone to think about what has happened and cry without facing everyone. However, he didn't leave me alone. I wanted to but he didn't. He told me that I shouldn't do this alone and so, he stayed by my side, quiet and respecting my need for space. He just sat in the bed with his hand rubbing my back while sadness enveloped me. Whenever I would think of my dad in the worst case he could possibly be in, he would rush to my side and cover me with his warm and tight embrace. He would whisper comforting words to me saying my dad will be alright and that he's a tough man. Yes, my dad was a tough man. He may be known for not being the strict and overpowering businessman like the usual tycoons in the world would be, but the world knows his heart of gold and his compassion for nature. My heart ached again just thinking of that. Nature. What my mother and father has in common that made them fall in love with each other and fall in love with their work.

"Does the world know?" I croaked. We were now lying down on the bed with Montessoro's arm pillowing my head and my hand on his chest. His shirt was wet because of my tears but he didn't mind. I was embarrassed at what I was doing in front of me but he just held me tight; never wanting to let me go.

"No. I told everyone not to speak a word about it. I know you and your dad want privacy with this kind of matter." He replied in a soft tone, his voice deep. I nodded and sighed.

"Can you wake me up once we land?" I asked, my tears heavy from crying and exhaustion. I felt drained. My heart was in constant pain and I was imagining where my dad was at the moment.

"Sure. Rest, love. It's a long flight." He said kissing my forehead and before I knew it, I fell into a deep sleep.

"Caralei, wake up. Wake up." Someone lightly shook my shoulders trying to wake me up and I groaned. My head hurts and my mouth was dry.

"What?" I groaned again before turning my back to him.

"You haven't eaten anything for hours. Come on. You need to get up, eat and drink. You'll get sick. I don't want you arriving in the hospital looking pale and sick."

"No." I cried in a raspy voice.

"Please, love. After you eat, we will go see your father." My eyes snapped open at what I heard. I instantly got up from the bed and looked at him. Wait... We're not in the airplane anymore.

"When did we arrive?" I asked looking around his room. It felt like him; warm, cozy, calming and it smelled like him.

"30 minutes ago. I decided it would be better for us to be here since it's nearer to the hospital than your house. Come on. You need to eat." He held his hand forward and I took it. He pulled me up and I gasped at how weak I was. He cursed.

"Shit. Come on. I don't want you getting sick." He said before he swept me off my feet and carried me outside his room bridal style.

"Where is everybody?" I noticed how quiet the whole house was. It felt like we were alone.

"Some are outside giving us privacy. I sent the rest to the hospital."

"Hospital? Why? Did something happen? Tell me, Montessoro. Did something happen to my dad? Is it serious?" My eyes widened, nervousness creeping into my heart again.