39th piece: Minor

Music's the medicine of the mind. ~ John A. Logan

Caralei

With closed eyes, I searched for Montessoro's warmth beside me but I was met with nothing but cold abandoned sheets. I opened my eyes, the sunlight blinding me for a second. I groaned. I got up from the bed and walked to his bathroom. I have to knock twice to confirm he was not there before I went to wash my face and brush my teeth.

"Montessoro?" I called out rubbing my eyes as I went out of the room.

"Where did he go?" I ran my fingers through my hair, thinking where could that man be. He shouldn't move around yet since he still has bruises. I was still sleepy since I have to check up on him every now and then and my nightmare was attacking me. I was glad I could wake myself up before Montessoro witness something I don't want him to see. Then I heard loud barks outside the house making me freeze. My drowsiness left me instantly. Oh my God! A dog? I hate dogs. Maybe a stray dog was outside the house or it entered the house. I went to inspect it. The nearer I was outside, the louder the dog was barking and making noises. I opened the door outside and a shriek of fear came out of me as the dog's eyes shot at me. It licked its mouth then it began chasing me.

"Oh my God! Stop! No." I ran barefoot inside the house going to Montessoro's room. The big dog barked at me as it chased me down the hallway.

"Go away!" I screamed so loud, frightened to the fact that the dog was getting near.

"Stop! Down boy! Sit!" I heard Montessoro shout and I heard the scramble of the dog's feet making me close my eyes and cover my face waiting for the dog to sink its teeth in me. But it never happened. I took a peek and the dog was sitting in front of me, looking at me with its tongue sticking out and its tail waggling. I put my hands down and just stared at the dog wearily.

"Are you okay?" Montessoro asked coming to me slightly limping.

"Yes, I am. Uhmmm..." I looked at the dog again.

"Don't worry. He won't hurt you." He said touching my elbow making me avert my gaze from the dog and to Montessoro who had a worry look on his face. The dog went all fours and started approaching us. That made me go to Montessoro's room really quick and closed the door.

"Caralei!" I heard him say at the other side. Then I heard him instruct his dog to go to the living room. After a few seconds, he opened the door while I went to sit on his still not fixed bed.

"I'm sorry. I should have warned you about Brutus." He spoke while he made his way towards me.

"Don't be sorry. I just panicked. You know..."

"Yes. I know you are scared of dogs but Brutus won't bite you. He's a very good dog." He reassured.

"Come on." He offered his hand. I sighed.

"I will be there." He said gesturing me to take his hand. I took it with a different reason. I checked his hand and even if it was treated, it still was reddish. I stood up while I looked at his knuckles.

"Why are you even up? You should be lying on the bed for you to rest."

"I am fine, Caralei. These will heal." I glared at him.

"You say that just to act tough. Come on. You should go to bed."

"Is this only a trick because you want me to go there with-"

"Shut up, Montessoro." I told him making him smirk looking entertained.

"Okay. I will go. In one condition."