51st piece: Prelude

You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow.

~ Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket

Caralei

I'm so excited about this music festival! Thrill ran through my veins as I got ready for the festival. I wore a black halter romper and black sandals for the occasion. I got a thin jacket just in case I'm under the sun for too long. I don't want to have freckles all over my body. I had worn sunscreens for protection but that is not enough. I brought a hat which was a cute one and I brought a small backpack for my food, drinks and other personal things. Montessoro gave me a list of what I needed to bring so it wasn't a problem worrying about what I would pack. I braided some strands of my hair. I would put it in a high ponytail later. I looked at the mirror once again and I was good.

"You look lovely, my dear." Dad commented as I sat on the sofa waiting for Montessoro to arrive. He was in his brown shirt and black cargo shorts and he was just sitting there doing nothing.

"Thanks. I thought you're going to meet with your friend." He shrugged.

"We cancelled it. I just want to relax here."

"Alone?"

"Yes. I can just lie around and watch T.V all day." He grinned. I laughed as he laid back on the couch in the most comfortable way.

"So you'll just be lazy for today?" It was unbelievable that he would do that considering that he had not missed any work day.

"Yes, why not?" That made me chuckle.

"Okay. If you say so. Call me if you need anything, okay?" He waved a hand at me signaling that he won't do what I have said.

"No. Just enjoy your day. I'll just be here relaxing." He sent me a smile but I felt something wrong. Something's wrong with dad but I can't figure it out. Not yet. The way he smiled at me made me want to stay and look after him.

"Are you okay, dad?" I didn't want to leave him without the assurance that he's okay. He stilled for a second making me more suspicious but then he chuckled.

"Of course I am. Why do you think I'm not okay?" I sighed.

"Nothing." He just nodded.

"Come back as soon as you can, okay? I don't want you roaming around at night especially when I don't have some guards looking after you at a distance. The festival always has a big crowd and I don't want any open opportunity from the enemies to get that." I understood him. he didn't want a repeat to had happened to me and mom. I knew about the guards who were always watching me whenever I'm out. I just got used to it and I didn't even mind them anymore.

"Okay dad. I will." I smiled at him and he nodded again.

"Good. Good." I didn't want to tell Montessoro about my security because he will know about the dark past I had and I didn't him to know that. I didn't want to bring out the monster that's eating me away. He might leave me because of it. People don't want broken dolls. After our conversation, I heard my phone beep. I looked at it and it was Montessoro.

Montessoro:

I'm coming to your room.

He knew what room we were in since he walked me here last night or earlier today. He wanted to greet my father but he was asleep when we got here so I guess he'll be doing it now.

"Is he here?" I heard my dad ask as I replied Montessoro 'okay.'

"Yeah." Just after a few moments, we heard a knock on the door and I shot out of my seat in excitement. I fixed myself and I noticed dad looking at me with a smirk.