27th piece: Clef

I made Gravity by Timeflies the song for this piece because it is a catchy song and it fits in the story.

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.

~ Jean Paul Richter

Caralei

The night has come and I was preparing for the celebration of our new project. Not one sound was heard in this house as everyone went out early. Dad went to the office to check if everything was set and Aida went to the De Luca Great Hall to help. As I locked the clasp of my necklace, I breathed out nervously. Dad will introduce me as his heir of the company to all people invited at the party. I really wasn't built to be on the spotlight. I never was. I liked to be in the background while I do my work to make big changes to the world. A call interrupted me from my own anxious thoughts. I grabbed my phone on the vanity table and saw that it was Montessoro. I answered it quickly.

"Hi." I greeted, a smile instantly growing on my face.

"Hello Cara. Are you ready?" He asked.

"Kind of." I answered him.

"Okay then. I'll be there in fifteen."

"Oh. Okay. I'll be ready by that time."

"I'll see you there, tiger."

"Knock on the door, Montessoro." I replied back bringing me back to our old memories.

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye." He hung up first and I put my phone back to the table. I remember the time he came here without knocking and I thought that he was a burglar. He scared the soul out of me that time that's why from that moment on, I always remind him to knock on the door. I missed those days with him. I'm glad he came back to my life even though he doesn't want to be just a friend anymore. I checked myself in the mirror again to find if I need to cover anything else. Due to lack of sleep and sorrow, I have to cover up the bags under my eyes and the paler complexion of my skin. I looked tired before I put my make- up on but now, I looked fresh. Only the power of make- up can conceal a woman's true feelings, I thought to myself. I smoothed my emerald dress as I turned around to see if I looked well enough to meet my future business partners and also to Montessoro. My dress was long- sleeved to cover the bruises I got due to my boxing session earlier in the morning. I have bruises in my arms especially near my elbows since I used mostly my elbows to punch the bag out of anger and loss. The top fitted me perfectly and the skirt blossomed making the dress look great on me. I checked if the bruises on my legs are noticeable, fortunately, it wasn't since I also covered it up also. I was good at covering myself up but I was not good enough to fix myself from being broken. I sighed at all the negativity pouring in me. I shouldn't be like this tonight. I should celebrate but I can't help but remember all the bad things that had happened years ago. I distracted myself by finding the right shoes for my dress. I smiled at the collection in front of me. I always loved shoes since I was a kid and I have been collecting whatever I liked since then. I scanned the racks for the perfect shoes. It should be simple but it should also represent what I feel today. A smile crept on my face as I chose my black pumps that were really comfortable to wear. I quickly put it on and was satisfied with the result. I combed my curly hair before I started braiding the half top of it. After that, I braided the rest then twisted the bottom part before putting pins in it to stay in its place. Then I wrapped it up with my top braided hair and secured it with pins also. I fixed it for a few seconds before I was satisfied with my plaited updo. I checked myself one more time before I went out of my room, closing the door and waited for Montessoro to come and get me in the living room. After a few minutes, I heard the horn of a car and I suddenly stood up from my seat and smoothed my dress again. Why was I cautious with my looks anyway? This was ridiculous. I shouldn't feel this way. I walked to the side and turned all of the lights off except the lights outside. I heard the knock on the door as I was about to switch the last one off and I went to get it. The moment I opened the door, I was greeted with a smiling Montessoro. Man, but he looked so handsome in his light gray three- pieced suit.