95th piece: On Repeat

Comethru by Jeremy Zucker is on the playlist! You can find the link above and listen to it. It’s a really good song. One of my fave songs in the chill mix. Now, let’s get back to the story. Happy reading!

Now I’m shaking, drinking all this coffee
These last few weeks have been exhausting
I’m lost in my imagination
And there’s one thing that I need from you
Can you come through
~ Jeremy Zucker

Gabriel Montessoro

As Caralei held her father in a tight embrace, Mr. Romano sent me a thankful look before giving me a thumb’s up. Em giggled at that while Mary looked proud. However, I didn’t feel like I had to do this because of them. I didn’t do this to be praised. They didn’t owe me anything to make me act like this. I did this for Caralei and her agreeing to eat was both an achievement and a great relief because she looked sick with the dark circles under her eyes, her paler complexion, and her light pinkish lips that were not in a healthy color. I gave Mr. Romano a nod and let them have their talk before Caralei went back to me to eat. Mr. Romano was now awake and Caralei looked better, her smile wider, her eyes brighter and her actions livelier. I cannot imagine him being away from Caralei for a very long time. He’s Caralei’s source of inspiration from the start. Since we met, I saw how she loved her parents. I cannot imagine the toll she had taken when she lost her mom. It could have been the most difficult and most trying times for her and Mr. Romano. I pushed my wheelchair nearer the table and waited while they talked.
“I’m really happy, ya know.” Em whispered as she stood by my side. I gave her a confused look.
“Yeah. Mr. Romano finally woke up.” I replied and she shook her head chuckling. What did she mean then? She took a seat on my left and looked at me with a smile.
“I’m really happy that you two have worked things out. Caralei… she can be so stubborn nobody can change her mind. When she was having a hard time, you don’t know how hard it was for us to keep her healthy and happy.” I frowned as Em continued to whisper.
“What really happened, Em? Tell me. You know that she’s precious to me. I don’t want to be kept in the dark.” Her jaw clenched, her eyes going distant. She was thinking whether or not tell me the truth.
“Just give her more time. Please. I don’t want to tell you something that I didn’t experience. Just trust her.”
“I do trust her.” She smiled.
“That is all we need to love, right?” I narrowed my eyes on her.
“You don’t believe in love.” She chuckled and leaned back on her chair.
“My dear, Gabriel, I don’t believe in that but that doesn’t mean I have to stop my best friends from loving too.” This woman carries a dangerous aura around her. I can see from the way she acted and talked. Added with what I have read about her and what had Emil been telling me about her, she can play the hearts of men and leave them without even looking back.
“I guess you can do your own thing.” She raised a brow.
“Sure. Sure.”
“Caralei?” I frantic Aida suddenly entered the room. She scanned the room quickly, her gaze landing on me for a second before her eyes finally settled on the man lying on the hospital bed. I was unnerved at the way Aida looked at me. For a brief moment, I didn’t see the warm welcoming eyes of the kind Aida I have come to know. Instead, I saw malevolence. That doesn’t add things up. It’s not right. Was I just imagining things? Maybe it was the case since I got hurt by a man my team and I suspected to be linked with Caralei and her family plus my mother have somewhat made Mr. Romano have a heart attack. Damn. Why are things getting more complicated?
“Hello Aida.” Em greeted with a wave of her hand.
“Hi dear.”
“Hello-” I was about to greet her too but she ran to Mr. Romano.
“Oh thank goodness! You are awake! How are you?” She began to ask while Em patted my shoulder. The three began to talk while Em and I waited for them.
“It’s okay. Aida might be like that because of what had happened. She’ll get over it.” Em explained before looking at the three.
“Okay.”
“How did you know I was awake?” My ears perked up as I heard Mr. Romano ask what I was just thinking. We haven’t informed anyone that he’s awake except for the doctor.
“I overheard the nurses and doctors talking about you when I was on my way here.” Then, the doctor and nurses came bustling in, the doctor flipping page after page on his notes.
“Hello everyone! Hello Mr. Romano.” The doctor greeted with a big smile on his face. His company had shy smiles on their faces as they followed the doctor in the room. I saw one gasp before his eyes went wide as he spotted me. Then he ducked and began bumping one of the nurses who was clearly irritated by him. A chuckle burst out of me when most of them began smacking the poor guy.
“You clearly have a fan here.” Em remarked nudging me by the elbow.
“Hush. He’s already embarrassed enough.” I said before laughing with her. As we were laughing, I met Caralei’s eyes. I winked at her and her face flushed before looking away.
“Gosh, you two can’t stop flirting.” Em fanned herself before pinching my cheeks.
“Ouch!” I yelped as she pinched my cheeks harder than I thought. Hell! I think she took out some flesh out of my cheeks!
“Em!” Caralei shouted at her best friend who was just smirking.
“Why so brutal?” I rubbed my cheeks.
“My bruises are now fading and you’re giving me one again.”
“Oh pretty boy. You don’t have to be handsome for Caralei to love you.” She talked to me like a baby. Mary who was standing by the door was laughing at us. Caralei walked towards us and slapped her best friend.
“Stop harassing him. You scared Gio. Don’t repeat it with Montessoro.” Em just laughed. Jesus! This woman! This is why Emil is trying to avoid her sometimes. She’s crazy!
“You okay?” Caralei cupped my face with her hands and checked me up. The concern she had was back on her face. She tipped my head from side to side, and looked at me, our faces inches away from each other. Okay. I take back everything I said. Em can pinch me anytime she wants as long as Caralei does this. I love it.
“I’m fine, love.” I assured her and took both of her hands. She retreated back much to my disappointment. I want her back to me. I want her closer to me.
“Your cheeks are reddish now.” She said rubbing my cheeks. Her soft hands worked wonders against my skin and I can feel the sparks coming out from the both of us. An electric feeling cursed through us and she stopped what she was doing and just looked at me.
“Okay. Stop that. You’re making me puke here.” Em pushed us apart and we both protested.
“Hey!” All of them laughed, even the medical staff attending Mr. Romano. Shit! They just saw us. I’m sure they will talk about this. I looked at Caralei, sending her a warning that they will now talk about our growing relationship with each other. To my surprise, she smiled and kissed my forehead. My jaw dropped, words choking me as I remained there speechless while Caralei went back to her father and began to talk to the doctor again. God! She’s the most unpredictable woman I have ever known!

Days passed by and I was finally let go of the hospital. After so many treatments and tests, I was able to go home. I bade goodbye to Mr. Romano in the hospital and Caralei was also left there to look after him. So, my team, my mom and Mary were the ones who took me home. The door opened leading me inside my house. It’s very silent. The house felt cold but everything was put back into place or was cleaned. We were now inside, filling up the space but I felt like this house was empty. Memories of what had happened flooded into my mind and I scan still feel the pain. I took a step in and everyone followed me inside.
“We took care of everything, son. I hope you didn’t mind.” My mom first spoke as we went into the living room. Everything was as good as new but I knew that some of my things in here were replaced by identical ones. Even my sofa that I used as a shield from the gunshots was replaced. Mom did her job here, I thought to myself as I continued to look around. Her being an agent really has some benefits sometimes. She can cover me up when I need it that’s why I have been silent in the news except for some special occasions. However, since Caralei came back into my life, I have been mentioned and have been discussed about in the media frequently. I went straight to my room and Edmond followed me there carrying my bags.
“Is there anything you need, Sir?” He asked as he placed the bags on the floor.
“None. You can go now, Edmond.” I said dismissing him.
“Okay. Your mom told me she wanted to stay over here until work calls her.” He informed me, not making a move to go out of my room. Instead, he began to unpack my things and put them in my closet. I just let him do whatever he pleased. All I wanted was to rest in my own house with all the privacy in the world; away from the judgmental looks of people, and away from the cameras and interviews.
“Okay. Sure. She can stay in the guest bedroom.” I lied down on my soft plush bed and sighed in satisfaction.
“Sir?”
“Yes?”  I looked at him and his eyes spoke more than words. He wanted to talk to me. Really talk to me and not just a conversation involving the boss and the employee. Edmond had treated me as his child more than my father had treated me as his. He understood me and had been by my side since college.
“You are awfully silent. I know you well enough to not let this slide. What are your plans? I can help you, you know.” He offered himself and I got up, sitting straight. My wounds have healed even my bruises now and I can move around normally. However, I still have to be careful. The best doctors in Italy together with one of the best doctors in the U.S had taken care of me. No one knew about this even Caralei but I will tell her about it once everything is back to normal.
“You will. I want to rest before going back to work, though. I promise you, Edmond. We will catch them.” I vowed. I swear, I will catch that son of a bitch. That fucking Tom. I knew he hurt Caralei and now he added fuel into my raging pit of fire. He wanted to fuck me up for her? A gunshot wound won’t let me stop loving Caralei. He’s wrong to think that I would stop because he got me. What he did only made me more determined to give him hell.
“Of course. I understand. Let me just arrange your things and I will be gone.” He replied going back to unpacking my things. I nodded at him and lied back down again. One question remained inside my head as I closed my eyes and tried to relax. Why does it feel so cold in here?

I must have dozen off as I was woken up with a start by my mother’s frenzy outside my room. She continued to knock and call out of my name as I stood up.
“Just a sec!” I exclaimed rubbing my face with both hands trying to rub off the sleep constantly trying to cling in to me.
“What is it?” I asked the moment I opened the door. My mom was ecstatic and crushed me into a hug.
“Woah! Mom! What is it?” I asked as she began to cry.
“They have caught him!” She said and my breath was taken away. Who? Was it my father? Or was it Tom who was now finally caught?
“Who?”
“Your father. They got him.” She said with delight.
“I’m so happy he’s finally caught.” She added but I wasn’t happy. I was relieved but disappointed at the same time. Tom wasn’t with him. Damn him. He’s been working with him and he tried to take what was mine. They were both trying to take what was mine.
“Where is he now?”
“He’s on his way back here to answer all the questions from the authority.” She pulled away and wiped her tears of joy.
“Mom? Who exactly did you call to find him?”
“The police, of course.” She said but I won’t fall for one of her straight- faced, innocent- looking eyes of hers while she answers. She’s lying. She cannot lie to her own son.
“The truth, mother. I want the truth.” I demanded from her and she looked at me sternly. I looked straight in the eye at her, not wanting to lose from her. She finally gave in.
“The police and our agents. Trust me. Your father works for one of the biggest criminal groups in the world. He worked under our radar and we didn’t even suspect him. It was my mistake and I won’t let it happen again. I thought the reason for him to be so persuasive was because he really wanted our company and not some hidden motive like taking over one of the biggest and most successful weapon manufacturing companies in the world and terrorize people.” The more she talked to me now gave me more knowledge with what’s happening.
“What’s his deal with that Tom, then?” I asked her.
“Tom is their leader, Gabriel.”
“Okay.” Mom gave me a raised brow.
“Okay? That’s all you can say? Don’t you ever go alone and try to fight them, Gabriel. Do you understand? If you acquire info about them, tell me and we will take care of it. Don’t you ever take justice into your own hands. I don’t want to lose you.” She said with warning, her eyes set on me with fire.
“Yes mom.”  That was all I can say. She took a step back and smiled.
“Good. We will see him tomorrow.” She said before walking away.

Hello everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  Hope you all enjoyed your vacation. Do you like this chapter? Why does Montessoro feel like his house was cold? Why did he feel like it was empty? Comment your thoughts down below. Please put some love in the star button and vote! Love you all!