Valentine's Day Special Edition

Play Romantic by Stanaj (NOTD Remix) for this special piece. Play the song above. Sending love to everyone!

Caralei

I was thinking on how to bring the crumpled papers to Montessoro while he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth when my phone rang loudly. I picked it up and answered.

"Hi Voj!" I beamed at my close friend.

"Caralei! How are you? I just heard the news about you. Why didn't you tell me you were sick?!" I can hear the disappointment in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Voj. I didn't want to be an addition to your problems."

"Damn it, Cara. You know I'll always be here for you. Just tell me. Why are you sick anyway? Is Gabriel treating you right? I think he isn't doing his job well." I let out a sigh. I have not talked to Voj about this. I knew to myself that I cannot give him a chance to my heart because I see him more of a friend than something else intimate. Looking at the bathroom, I thought Montessoro might hear me so went to the balcony and while walking, I talked to him.

"I have avoided him for a month..."

"Why? Did he hurt you? I swear to God! If he did-"

"No, he didn't. There are things you don't know about me, Voj. He doesn't know it triggered something in me and I'm scared about everything happening."

"Caralei..." He breathed out my name. I have arrived at the balcony. Spring season is coming and I'm going to miss winter season. I loved the feel of cold air lightly blowing my face. I liked cold weather because the sun isn't my enemy. Looking around the serene view in front of me made me breathe in nature's intoxicating scent.

"I know you have gone through hard times. I noticed it and I am waiting for you to open up."

"I'm sorry I can't do that."

"Don't apologize, Caralei. I understand. But please know I won't push you. I won't do something he did. I don't want that to happen. I'm here for you." He reminded me of his declaration of love in the launch of my technology.

"Voj... I can't. I can't do this to you. I-I'm sorry. You're my close friend and I don't want that to be destroyed because of attraction. I'm sorry I can't return what you feel for me, Voj." It hurt me to say those words to him. I hate hurting him because I love him as a friend. He was quiet for a few seconds before he spoke.

"I guess Gabriel is the lucky man, huh?" I can hear the pain in his voice.

"Yes. I'm sorry, Voj."

"It's okay, I guess. Why did you faint?"

"Stress. I overworked myself and I didn't sleep well." I informed him.

"Oh. Please be healthy always, Cara. You scared the soul out of me when I heard in on the news. I have been so busy with my cases I didn't check up on you."

"It's okay, Voj. No need to worry about me. I'm feeling better now." I reassured him.

"Okay. So... what's gonna happen to us now?" He went back to our first topic.

"We're still friends, right?"

"Yeah! Of course! A couple of drinks after this and I'll be good." He joked but there was awkwardness in the way he talked.

"Voj!"

"I'm joking. Well, I'll have a drink or two. I can't move on at the snap of my fingers, Caralei. But I promise. I'll never bring this out again. It's better to have this than to push myself to you."