10th piece: Quarter Note

For this chapter, you can play the song above and it is Fools by Lauren Aquilina.

Music has been my playmate, my lover, and my crying towel. ~ Buffy Sainte-Marie

Caralei

"Dov'e il gabinetto?" He asked where the restroom was.

"Follow me." I said and we went outside the room. As I passed my team checking and evaluating our project, I waved a hand at them. They pushed a button making a buzzing sound and the glass window that separated us from them slid down.

"Take a break guys. Be back at one thirty." I told them and they said yes before they vacated the testing room. After washing our hands, we went back to my room.

"I ordered for you if you don't mind. When you were not outside the two minutes after I arrived, I knew you were busy so I took liberty and ordered lunch for us. It will arrive soon." He said. He had called for delivery when I was still mulling over the project. My eyes widened as realization hit me. His phone might bring disaster to the factory, might cause an accident and endanger him.

"Where's your phone?" I asked. Nervousness quickly took over my body.

"Don't worry. I left it in my car. I need to call my assistant though. He thought I'll just go out for lunch then come back there." I let out a breath of relief.

"Okay. Why aren't you going back in your office?"

"I told you. I'll help you here."

"I'm completely fine. I'll work it out." I said but I knew it was impossible to complete the task since I haven't solved the problem yet.

"The way you are looking worried and tired, you won't." I sighed in defeat. He's right.

"Fine." Cheor then knocked on my door waving two paper bags containing our lunch.

"Right on time!" Montessoro cheered as he opened the door. He thanked Cheor who was shyly smiling at him as she gave him our lunch.

"Let's eat first." He said and I quickly gathered all my papers, pens and highlighters and put them aside.

"Sorry for the mess." I apologized again.

"I am not surprised, Caralei." He grinned at me and I rolled my eyes at him. Some things never changed. I should not be feeling unfamiliar that he knew me well since I practically was stuck with him until college.

"You shouldn't." I retorted and I heard him chuckle.

"What did you order?" I asked as I pulled out two black stools. While I arranged our table and seats, he took out our food.

"Do you like Asian?" He asked as he placed my food in front of me.

"Yes." I replied as he offered me chopsticks. I took it before I uncovered the take out lunch.

"Sushi?" I asked in surprise. I never knew he was into this kind of food. We never ate Asian food together. It was our first time.

"Yes. I found a good sushi restaurant in town and I thought you might like to try it." He said while he unwrapped and separated the joined chopsticks. I did the same.

"Thank you." I told him and it made him smile. It was thoughtful of him but I didn't want to point it out.

"You're welcome." He replied and he sat on his stool facing me. I shrugged my lab gown off and placed it on the table beside me. The sushi he brought was great and we ate in silence enjoying the food. I never thought we'll be eating lunch in here. That's a first.