Chapter 32: Moving Forward

Saku and Mochi were currently in the castle-sized Mansion of Pulya's home. After a brief run in with Reginald, again, Saku was in the room of Pulya's grandmother, Martha, who was cleaning his bandage. Martha then asked a request of Saku, to which he seem uncertain of doing...to help heal Pulya's fear of fire but Martha replied

"why not...you have overcome a deep fear yourself. So I know you have the strength to help overcome hers"

Saku looked very confused "I...have overcome a deep fear myself? I don't know what you mean"

"You held great fear in your heart...of being alone" Saku looked quite surprised by her words "to you, loneliness is cold and dark. Like a fierce snowstorm, it masks the light...stopping you from seeing what's around you"

"H...How are you doing that?"

"Recently, you performed an action, in order to rid yourself of this fear...without truly facing it. Which meant you were only looking forward, not seeing the light sources around you. And as result, one of your strongest bonds, now lies in tatters. With you wondering how to repair it"

Saku looked ashamed and low "how did...you know all that?"

"I can see it...all in your eyes my boy" said Martha "and I can tell from looking at you, it's not been pleasant. Yet here you are, slowly moving forward"

"to be honest. I don't really feel like I'm moving forward"

"that is only because, you can't find the first step. However I feel you are looking for it...leaving the fear behind. The prime source of your fear...was a loved one, the memory of which you carry upon you" Saku again reacted in surprised and press a hand to his upper arm where the sash laid underneath "you felt, as long as you looked forward, you wouldn't have to look back"

Saku couldn't disagree with what she had said "yeah...you're right. I don't know how...but you're right. In my head, I felt as if I didn't look back...then I could run away from it. But now...I realise I can't run away"

"And thus...you have overcome your fear" said Martha warmly "while you may not realise it, you have begun to accept past events...and see the lights that have been there with you all the time. Which is why...I believe you can give Alexandra the strength to move past her"

"how did Pulya become so afraid of fire? I mean, you live in a snowy land...so fire, except from a fireplace, won't exist"

"what you say is true. What you don't know...is this"

Martha stood up and looked to be mild discomfort "you see...the Strelok family...is a family entirely composed of ice element fighters" Martha created a small ball of ice with her hand "however...we have...an odd quirk as a family" Martha relinquished the ball of ice "during childhood, it is not ice we come to wield...but fire" Saku rose from his seat

"wait...wait, so Pulya once had the power of fire!?" said Saku surprised

"that is correct. For the first twelve to sixteen years, it is fire we wield. It is only during the teenage years does our power become ice"

 "but how does fire...become ice? I mean wouldn't make more sense for you to be water users?"

Martha sat upon her bed "I'm afraid we don't know either child. It affects only the first born child, of every alternate generation. It affected me too, as I too wielded the power of fire. Once I became thirteen, my fire powers gradually weakened, and became that of ice"