Chapter Twenty-six

Sasha sat in the cramped damp cell sobbing quietly into her hands, she had learnt that shouting and screaming didn't do her any favours. An earlier outburst had resulted in her food privileges being taken away for the whole day. So apart from scared and cold she was now extremely hungry.

She guessed that they where hunters, but what reason did they have for attacking her, she had never done anything really wrong, maybe she was a bit of a tart but nothing nasty. She didn't have any status either so holding her as some sort of a ransom was pretty pointless.

She finally summoned enough energy to stand up and walk to the door careful not to touch it, the cells were made specifically to hold werewolves, she very painfully found out that the bars on all the windows and doors were silver plated. Although it wasn't solid silver, there was enough silver to stop her from trying to escape. But it didn't make any difference as the collar that she wore weakened her and stopped her from shifting anyway.

She looked out the small gap between the bars and was shocked to see similar faces looking back at her; there was cells the full length of the corridor and the handful of girls she seen were all similar in age to her stared back at her. "What the hell!" she spoke in shock "Shh" was the sound that came from a couple of close cells "They'll hear you!" piped up a meek voice from what sounded from the cell next to her. "What is this place?" she whispered hoping the other girl could hear.

Before she could get an answer there was a loud bang from the end of the corridor, a man in uniform walked up glancing in each cell as he walked, a few times he banged on the cell with his baton, and then waited for a second before moving onto the next cell. After he had heckled every cell on the other side he walked down her side and stopped outside hers "Well hello there, a new one" he grinned with a nasty smirk on his face "Go screw yourself" she spat, what is it will these people did they all come from the same creepy mould? "Now that's not very nice, if you want to survive this place then you better get with the program." he sneered with such a look of hate on his face it made her shiver.

After the guard left and slammed the door behind him, Sasha slumped down against the wall "Hey I'm Lucy, what's your name?" said the meek voice again. Sasha smiled, it felt good to hear a friendly voice "I'm Sasha...what is this place?" she replied frustrated at the lack of information. "You maybe better off not knowing" she sighed. But Sasha wouldn't take no for an answer and after some pleading; she heard a small groan before the girl explained everything she knew.

"This is what I know, they are looking for a girl about eighteen years old that is possibly living in Scotland, her father killed someone and they are out for revenge. They killed her mother after she dumped the kid and no one has found the father so they are kidnapping any rogue or orphaned eighteen year old girl in the chance that they can reel in the father." Sasha sat there deep in her own thoughts "So where are your parents?" Lucy asked with interest "Huh, mines were rogues, they were killed for trespassing in some wolf's territory, I escaped and joined the Kelltoch pack when I was twelve year old, my parents were as common as muck!" she huffed knowing for a fact that she wasn't the one they were looking for.

Sasha had always known her parents, her parents were rogues that travelled Scotland scavenging for food, she was just another mouth to feed as far as her parents where concerned. She had watched as her parents were ripped apart in front of her by a pack of patrolling wolves, she had bolted as fast as she could and the attackers let her go. Tired and scared she collapsed in the middle of nowhere, she woke in a large room with a woman sitting beside her bed. She had looked after her until she was strong and the Alpha had asked her if she would like to join their pack. She did and never looked back until she spotted the Alpha's son Connor and hatched a plan in her head to capture the heart of his son and get some sort of status that might rid her of her useless rogue status that she currently had.

Not that it made any difference now, she had blown it with Connor and her mate, god how she missed Paul now, if only her pride hadn't got in the way. She had always played down her feelings for him as he was not much higher in rank than she was. She now saw things in a completely new light 'what a bitch I am' she thought and burst into tears. She thought about her dad, no way would he have fought for her, he would have welcomed someone taking her off his hands even if it was hunters.

"How long gave you been here?" Sasha finally had the guts to ask "Three months, but some have been here as long as a year. You see the scents change when females turn sixteen so their mates can track them down, but also their father can track them too"

It all made sense, all potential girls were held here until the father tracks her down and then god knows what would happen to both of them, she was just glad it wasn't her. "What if he is dead?" Sasha asked Lucy, she had said that he was never seen again after the hunters attack that killed her mum and his mate, some mates commit suicide after losing their mates as they can't take the pain. "So do you think she is here?" she whispered to Lucy "Nah, if she was she would have sent a distress signal subconsciously that would have alerted her dad and he would have came by now even though he would be in danger" she smiled although Sasha couldn't see.

"Where did you learn all this stuff?" Sasha asked impressed with her knowledge, "Mmm long story but my parents made me study all this crap just didn't think I would ever need it!" she laughed dryly. Sasha didn't know whether to pray for this girl to be found or pray that she stays hidden.

She finished chatting to Lucy and went to lie down on the hard putrid mattress and allowed the tears to quietly stream down her face and soak into the so called pillow. She had no idea how long she would be trapped in this hellhole or if she would ever get out of here alive.

********************************

Sasha woke up in the middle of the night to crying, she felt drained as it was with the fact that she still hadn't had any food until the morning. As she lay there she listened to the sobs and knew that they were not just coming from one girl, it sounded like at least five different sobs and she couldn't help but feel a lump in her own throat as a single tear fell down the side of her face.

"Lucy, you awake?" Sasha whispered and heard a sniffle that told her that she had been one of the girls that was crying. "What's up?" she sniffed "Tell me about your mate" she asked not sure if it was too painful for her to talk about and as the silence was becoming unbearable, she spoke with a dreamy voice "Jake, that's his name" she sighed.

She explained that she had met him on a trip to meet the Alpha of another pack, her dad was Beta of a small pack up north, but food was scarce and we didn't have enough members to be self sufficient as their land was rocky and barren. They couldn't grow any crops on it, so they disbanded the pack and everyone went their own separate way.

Her parents and her searched and searched for a good pack that would accept us, finally we just seemed to run into them and although they seemed like a nice pack, they didn't want us in their pack. She told Sasha that there was just something different about them, she felt there was something wrong with them, something she couldn't quite pinpoint. Suddenly out of nowhere she felt eyes on her and she turned round and looked into large smoky eyes that seemed to be looking straight into her soul.

He introduced himself as Jake, but before she could even give him her name, her parents dragged her away and she never seen him again. They spent the last few years by themselves until her parents went to town to buy some food, she had stayed behind and that was when she was attacked.

This was really weird, so why was she attacked even though her parents aren't dead? "Lucy, did the hunters ask about your parents?" Sasha asked thoughtfully "Yip, I told them that I haven't seen my parents in years" Sasha smiled to herself at how selfless Lucy was, all she had to do was tell them that her parents were still alive but she was worried that they might get hurt.

She wondered what she meant about that pack and what was wrong with them, she hoped that one day Lucy would be lucky enough to find her mate again and live happy ever after.