Chapter Twenty

Adelaide lay in bed trying to make sense of everything, things had now changed beyond her comfort zone, the thought that her parents hadn't abandoned her and actually gave their lives to save her sent her over the edge and she collapsed into her pillow and sobbed her heart out.

By the time she woke up the next morning, she knew what she needed to do. She had to find out if her dad was dead or alive, maybe she had brothers or sisters she thought with a smile. Although she knew this probably wasn't the case as Connors dad had told her she was his only child she remembered sadly.

In an instant she jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to speak to her mum "Mum I really need to ask a massive favour?" she spoke with her sweetest voice "What is it darling?" her mum answered with a small frown "Can you cover me at work for the rest of the week?" "What in earth for...are you sick?" her mum said in shock "I have to go visit someone, I can't tell you just yet why, but I really need to do this for myself" she sighed.

She couldn't tell her the truth but hoped her mum trusted her as much as she hoped she did. Her mum took a big breath, held it for a bit before giving out a huge sigh "Well you are old enough to do as you please, but I am only covering you till Friday and you have to be back for Monday" she huffed knowing that she could trust Adelaide not to get into any real trouble.

With this Adelaide ran back up the stairs and stopped "How the hell can I get in touch with Connor" she didn't have his telephone number and she wasn't waiting till 5 o'clock till he came to pick her up, suddenly a rather strange urge hit her to visit his parents house again, they would know how to reach him.

She didn't even bother to put on any makeup she just said goodbye to her mum and started running, slowly of course; after all she was still in the human town. She sped up once she reached the dense forest, after about an hour she had reached the start of Connors land; she sniffed the air taking in the scent that marked the boundary. She did not want to know how they marked the place.

As soon as she crossed the invisible boundary her body started to tingle all over "What is wrong with me!" Adelaide cried as her body felt as if it was on fire, she squealed in pain as she felt her bones start to crack and twist, her body forced her to touch the ground with her hands. Her body felt as if it was ripping itself apart from the inside out. The pain was excruciating and she howled in pain as tears rolled down her face.

She knew that she was shifting into her wolf, but she wasn't sure just how much more pain she could take, her eyes were blurry with tears and she felt disoriented. Her legs gave way and she curled up into a ball as her body continued to crack and stretch.

The pain finally subsided and she dared to open her eyes that had been tightly closed with all the pain, immediately she noticed that her already enhanced senses were now even sharper than before. She looked down at her feet and smiled as she saw pure white fur on her paws "I have paws?" she said but her voice didn't come out of her mouth just yelps and barks. "Aren't we beautiful!" her wolf spoke proudly seeing herself on the outside for the first time and Adelaide agreed.

After what seemed an eternity she stepped forward as a wolf for the first time feeling overwhelmed with the power that seemed to flow through her, 'is this how Connor feels...wow!' she thought before deciding to test this new side of her, she took off into the woods gradually increasing her speed until the trees around her where nothing but a blur, but her amazing sight prevented her from crashing 'this is awesome' she laughed as she raced towards Connors parents house.

She stopped by a beautiful Loch and walked over to the waters edge and stared at her reflection, she smiled as she seen her wolf face for the first time, she had beautiful white fur and piercing blue eyes that seemed to match her own in human form only brighter. She sniffed and looked confused, she smelt Connor all over this place, 'oh crap, what am I supposed to do now?' she thought remembering the pile of shredded clothes that had lain at her feet when she shifted, she had no idea how to shift back anyway...she was screwed!

She instinctively howled and just lay down to wait for her mate.