Chapter Forty-six

Adelaide sat in her mum's living room watching the minutes tick by on the large gold ornate clock that hung above their old fashioned TV. This place was sapping her energy, all she wanted to do was strip off all of her clothes and shift into her pure white wolf and run home. This place just felt like a cage, no wonder Connor was so intent on escaping.

She felt guilty for not wanting to spend time with her mum but all she wanted to talk about was local gossip, news, weather and who was going to win Britain's got talent. Adelaide thought about it and couldn't actually remember the last time she sat down to watch the television. It just seemed rather unimportant at home. 'home' she thought, it was amazing just how quickly she had settled in the Kelltoch lands, everyone had accepted her as their Alpha female and now with baby Sofia to fuss over she knew that she could never return to live here.

The front door clicked open "Honey I'm home!" her dad said in his best Fred Flintstone impression, he cracked open the living room and his eyes went wide as he caught sight of Adelaide. He quickly walked over to her and pulled her into a hug "I have been worried sick thinking about you" he sighed as he held onto her. "So what happened you give him the elbow?" he asked sternly holding her shoulders at arms length. Adelaide smiled as her dad spoke about what he would do to him if he had hurt her. 'If only he knew how hard that would be to achieve, even with all of her strength it would be a challenge.' she thought.

She explained to her dad the same story she told her mum that they had gone away on holiday and she had lost her phone and it was abroad so it would have cost too much money to phone home. "If you went abroad, why don't you have a tan?" her mum interrupted causing her dad to laugh deeply "I can think of a few reasons" he grinned and wiggled his eyebrows as he watched a blush appear on his wife's face to say she realised what he meant "Oh" was all she said again on the matter.

It wasn't long after before a chap on the door made her parents jump, she would have to tell Connor to watch his strength as well, as anyone else would have thought it to be a policeman's knock. Her mum jumped to open the door, but Adelaide had felt him before he was even near the door. She knew that they could quite easily spend the rest of their lives together without ever getting tired of each other.

At first Connor looked a little uncomfortable, but as her dad pulled out a dusty bottle of whisky from the back of a cupboard and offered a glass to Connor it became clear that things were going to be OK. She spoke to Connor through their mind link to tell him the cover story on why they hadn't kept in touch.

Connor hinted just how thirsty he was and Mary offered to make him a cup of coffee and to his delight Adelaide followed just leaving him with Peter. "Before they come back, I was wondering if you would do me the honour of allowing me to marry your daughter" Connor asked feeling a bout of déjà vu, he opened up the ring box to show his choice of ring and couldn't mistake the tears that were collecting at the corners of his eyes. "That is just perfect! I will allow you to marry my daughter, but if I find out you are treating her badly I will make you pay!" he whispered patting Connor roughly on the back. Connor smiled to himself knowing it was more likely the other way round, his side still tingled from when Adelaide elbowed him earlier, but he would never let on to her just how strong she really was "I will let you mention it to your wife when we leave it's not fair to keep her in the dark" he winked at Peter just as Mary returned with a tray of biscuits and cups of steaming coffee.

Adelaide was glad to be home, she felt better now she had spoken to her parents and promised to keep in touch, and Connor even gave them his mobile number in case Adelaide lost her phone again. They opened the front door and immediately the stench of dirty nappies hit their noses "YUCK! That's just nasty" Connor spluttered as he wafted fresh air in through the open door. "Can someone please open a window?" Connor growled before bumping into a flustered Colin. He looked at Adelaide with pleading eyes "Help! Sam went to lie down and Sofia won't stop crying, I came here to give Sam some peace but nothing I do seems to work" he rambled.