Chapter Six

Connor had packed a small suitcase hours ago and was now pacing the living room waiting for it to get dark enough to leave without being seen, he had already shifted the jeep about ten minutes walk away so it didn't alert anyone. After all he was surrounded by werewolves who even in human form had heightened hearing.

At last the time came for him to leave the pack house; he locked up and handed the keys over to Colin who came to see him off. "Good luck, you might need it!" Colin whispered in his ear before shifting into his huge grey wolf to rejoin the rest of the night shift that patrolled the territory looking for intruders especially the forthcoming elusive rogue.

It was 11 o'clock before he reached the small bed and breakfast that he had booked in advance; it only took an hour to reach the town at the speed he drove at. But this was not his territory any more, he had crossed the boundary half an hour ago and this made him feel uneasy. Not that this was another pack's land, this town was full of humans, not many wolves lived in the human towns for fear of being sussed out. No right minded werewolf would want that sort of attention.

Connor checked into his rather drab room 'certainly not up to my standards!' he reflected eyeing up the old fashioned and slightly stuffy decor. He walked into the en-suite bathroom and was relieved to see that at least this was clean and had everything as expected.

After a quick shower he shoved on his favourite jeans and his red and black chequered shirt and headed out to start his mission to track down his mate.

After about ten minutes he started to pick up a faint smell of jasmine and coconut, his senses where not as honed as they would be in wolf form but that was out of the question, he reminded himself. He followed the scent until he came to a nice little row of houses that looked like the sort your granny would live in. Connor shrugged and carried on walking down the street until the scent was now filling his body with her unique only for him fragrance.

His heart started to beat harder and faster as he stared at the house that contained his mate and quite possibly her chosen partner. He growled lowly allowing his wolf to show his resentment. 'Soon my wolf, we will have her soon' Connor spoke to his inner wolf through gritted teeth.

Connor lifted his head to sniff the cold night air, there was not even a trace of another wolf, 'what was she doing living out of the protection of the packs...unless her mate was human? This was possible, but normally the human would be her mate not just any old human?' the rage that was now going through his body was increasing by the second. His wolf was just about ready to come to the surface and there was very little he could do now, if he was caught in wolf form it could be devastating for his pack and surrounding packs if they brought hunters in to exterminate them.

On a lighter note, he couldn't change back as he would have ripped his clothes to shreds if he shifted with his clothes on...and those where his favourite jeans!

Suddenly his ears heard a slight moan coming from the upstairs window, his wolf growled again and without thinking Connor quickly scaled the drainpipe that luckily ran vertically beside the bedroom window; seconds later he reached the side of the window and leaned across to peer in through a small gap in her curtains.

'Phew, that's a relief!' he thought to himself as he realised that she was in fact asleep and there was no-one else in the room with her and by looking quickly round the room he could see that she was sleeping in a single bed and there was not a single item in sight that revealed another man staying in that room. Connor realised that this was even more complicated than he thought; all he wanted to do was kill the other man and claim her as his own.

He finally turned his attention back to his mate who was sleeping so soundly that she looked as though she could play the part of sleeping beauty any day, her breathtaking red hair was splayed out across her pillow and her perfectly formed deep pink lips were parted slightly that just asked to be kissed by him and him alone, his wolf jumped in ruining his line of thought 'take her now and lets get out of here!' his wolf snarled. 'That is not civilised, now shut up!' Connor retaliated.

Suddenly Connor heard a snap and realised that one of the metal clips that holds the drainpipe to the house had broken with the stress of having to hold his muscle-bound weight up, he glanced back to his mate who had been startled to the noise, she sat up and swung her legs out of her bed and stood up. 'Wow she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen!' Connor grinned as he took her whole body in for the first time that wasn't a dream, she looked even more stunning than he had remembered, her slim body was covered in a figure hugging pale blue satin slip that only seemed to reach her thighs, her legs could rival that of a top model, her hair fell around her in waves that he wondered how long he would have to wait to be able to run his hand through her thick luxurious locks.

'Oh sh**t' he cursed as he noticed that she was making her way over to the window where he was, he looked down at the drop and sighed before jumping off his perch and hid behind a car on the other side of the street.

She opened the window and stared out as if trying to locate something and a few seconds later she closed the window muttered something he couldn't quite catch then closed her curtain's again, making sure there was no more gaps.

Connor felt drained as he dragged his heels back to the bed and breakfast, opened the door with the key he was given and threw himself on his bed fully clothed and let the exhaustion take over him as he fell asleep where he fell.