Chapter Forty-eight

Connor watched in awe as his new fiancé mingled effortlessly between both packs, he knew that it was important for the McLeod pack to get to know their future Alpha even though it would be unusual for a female to take over completely.

Normally a suitable suitor would be betrothed to be elected mate to the daughter of an Alpha and he would take over the running of the pack. Jack had already made it clear that he was happy to have Connor as his daughters mate; after all he was her natural mate and had the added benefit of being Alpha of the second largest pack in Scotland.

Jack and Connor had already discussed this and the decision would be to train Adelaide how to run the pack, after all she would be by Connors side as female Alpha for the Kelltoch pack. If Adelaide wished to take over after Jack stepped down Connor wouldn't stop her, although it might cause problems if she is living on the McLeod lands and Connor living on his lands. The logical choice would be to merge both packs together into a super pack that would make them the largest pack in the whole of the UK.

Their lands were close enough to each other that they only had one other small pack in-between them that could be persuaded to join them or create a treaty to allow the passage of members through their land.

His mind was full of so much Alpha business that he didn't notice Adelaide walk up in front of him with a cold beer for him "Hey, is your head here or at home?" she smiled as he shook his head to try to rid his head of work. He smiled and took the cold bottle off her and couldn't resist stealing a quick kiss from her as well. He took her hand and gently pulled her over to the centre of the clearing and Adelaide grinned as everyone just went silent as soon as they seen him. She still was amazed at the magnitude of his presence 'and he's all mine' she thought to herself as she ran her eyes over his super toned back 'I heard that' Connor replied through their mind link and she didn't need to look at his face to know he was grinning like a Cheshire cat, and he didn't need to look back to know that her face was bright red.

Connor raised his hand to let people know that he was ready to speak "I thank you all for coming to our engagement party, I know that Adelaide has only been aware of her true identity for a short period of time but she has picked up on our way of life remarkably well. I just know you will love her as much as I do and treat her will the respect she deserves as your Alpha female" he spoke without any Alpha tone as it wasn't needed as he knew how well liked she was within his pack and Jacks.

He thanked everyone again for coming and everyone clapped and cheered as he pulled Adelaide close to him and kissed her passionately in front of the crowds, Adelaide looked a picture as she took in all the cheers and waved at the people who were calling her name. She looked as though this was the way it was meant to be and Connor couldn't help feel sad about how close she was from not being here altogether. "Cheer up, everything's ok" she smiled squeezing his hand.

The rest of the night was a blur of drinking, dancing, mingling and just being close to Adelaide. She has so much energy in her that nearly everyone had left, only a handle of people remained but they looked knackered. Finally Connor managed to drag her off the dance floor and they both slowly walked through the woods on the way back home.

It was dawn before they emerged from the trees and the sun was just starting to peek out from the mountains that were still thick with snow, just looking at the majestic mountains and rolling hills just made Connor feel proud to be Scottish. Adelaide must have been thinking the same thing as she sighed contentedly before resting her head against his chest and just watched as the sun slowly rose and bathed the land with a soft orange glow.

Connor didn't feel like going home just yet, the sun gave him a renewed energy that needed used up, he pulled Adelaide round to face him and inhaled the sweet scent that rolled off Adelaide's body, the scent was now changing rapidly as he now noticed a hint of roses that would soon become their child's own unique scent and right now the thought of her carrying his child was filling him with so much pride it hurt.

Adelaide stood up on her tiptoes and gently bit his ear and said the words that would send him over the edge "I love you!"