Chapter Forty

Connor nuzzled up beside Adelaide enjoying the sensations that sparked off each other; although he had to keep his head clear he couldn't help the thoughts of what he wanted to do to her when they got home. It had been nearly an hour since he last heard from Jack; Alex had let him know that he had gone after Raven, the group of girls sat together as if for comfort surrounded by the Kelltoch pack who all faced the woods in protective mode. Sasha found the one she called Lucy, it was weird to see Sasha actually having a friend.

The word came from Jake that Alex and the rest of the McLeod pack had successfully snuck behind the hunters and where now in position. Connor took a deep breath **Whatever happens...I love you!** Connor said licking Adelaide's face. Adelaide looked scared out of her mind by the look in her eyes **Would you still have tracked me down if you knew this would happen?** Adelaide asked timidly, **I would do it all again yes, but I should never have left you at the human village** he sighed **When we get home, you are going to live with me!** he said firmly. **That's what I was doing when I got kidnapped, I couldn't bear to be without you so I left my job and moved out** she said sniffing.

Adelaide felt so confused, she knew her place was right beside Connor, but she wondered if Connors life would have been simpler without her. She felt a tear fall down her blood stained fur **Not for one second should you ever think like that!...I will have to teach you to block your mind from members** Connor shook his large wolf head and she noticed a few others shake their heads in disapproval of her thoughts as she realised that the whole immediate Kelltoch members had heard that too. **Damn** she thought.

Suddenly a low rumble seemed to echo through the trees as the stench of hunters seemed to come from every direction, the call came through from Jake to say that there was another wave of hunters with an additional five dogs heading their way, they must have been hiding close by in a very dense patch of trees, Connor knew what was happening. This lot were going to push them towards the other pack so what ever they missed the ambush would finish off. But they were now up against ten hybrids!

Connor called out to his pack to hold formation until they were nearly upon them, and then attack. He gave one more longing look at Adelaide before taking charge of his pack, as Alpha his job was to protect all of his pack. It wasn't long before the glistening teeth of the hybrids came into view followed shortly by the hunters, he couldn't count them all but known this was going to be bad.

**I hope you all have some fruits left, I think we are going to need them!" he said more to himself than the pack but it was received by nods to say they were OK. **Kill the dogs first!** he barked in his Alpha tone, once they are down the rest will follow. Adelaide walked calmly up beside him **What the hell! Adelaide stay with the rest of the girls** he groaned trying to push her away with his snout**NO! My place is beside you, besides I'm stronger than you!** she grinned. This wasn't the time or place to argue; after all she was right, even if his male pride didn't accept it.

Just as Connor seen the whites of the hunters eyes, he gave the order to attack. Everyone attacked including the girls which made Connor mad. He wanted the girls to hold back not fight **They have a score to settle too** Adelaide reminded him, and although he hated the idea of women fighting he understood. He ordered his men to try their best to protect them.

The dogs were now upon them, he could hear the howls coming from everywhere as the hybrids clawed their silver encrusted claws into whatever they could, it was a bloodbath, the fruits where doing their job, but it was slowing their fighting abilities with their injuries allowing the hunters to gain on them. Within ten minutes a pile of men were out of action with severe wounds that was taking too long to heal, he was struggling himself with a hybrid. He looked around between dodging the dog's claws to try to find Adelaide but as yet was nowhere to be seen. Maybe she got some sense and hid!

Suddenly he lost his concentration and the dog bit a chunk out of his shoulder, he growled at the dog and lunged for his throat but missed, without warning he felt a searing pain shot up through his back leg, as he was wrestling with the animal, some coward had shot him, his leg started to feel heavy as the fruit was starting to wear off, he had given his last fruit to Adelaide. The dog now has him down on his side and no matter how he fought he couldn't seem to shift him.

Just as he was about to close his eyes to wait for the inevitable, when a flash of white came running in front of him, it was Adelaide! She lowered her head and ran head first into the dogs side and the sound of its ribs cracking told Connor that she was definitely winning this one, the dog yelped as it was thrown hard to the ground, it shook itself before staggering back to it's feet, Adelaide circled the animal baring her teeth, it was the dog who made the first move, it leapt into the air aiming for her throat but she was too quick and while the dogs underbelly was exposed she clawed at it. The dog fell to the ground as its intestines spilled out of the fatal wound.

**One down four to go!** she growled pumped up with adrenaline, she spotted Connor and ran to his side. He was healing but the fruits were nearly finished. She licked the wound on his shoulder and noticed it start to heal. The serum that was still in her system must be helping, she carried on licking him until she sensed danger, and she turned to face three hunters.

Their guns where no match for her as she easily avoided their slow movements, she targeted the closest hunter and as he raised his arm to shoot, she bit his hand making him drop his weapon, he fell to the ground screaming in pain as the blood gushed out. The other two looked in horror at their fellow hunter before focusing back on her. The other two went down without a problem.

Connor lay there in awe as he watched her fight with so much confidence that he found it hard to believe that she had only recently found out her true identity, he felt the wound on his shoulder finally close up thanks to Adelaide's quick thinking, she will make a awesome Alpha female that would stand at his side as his equal in every way 'apart from the more power thing!' his wolf reminded him with a chuckle. Connor gave his wolf a small growl before getting up onto his feet again.

He assessed the situation, he noticed that although the hunters had reduced dramatically, the only hybrid down was the one Adelaide had killed and they were taking their toll on his numbers, he seen the amount of his people lying on the ground including some of the women. He cursed under his breath feeling useless, suddenly he seen Adelaide prick up her ears.

**Adelaide! Listen very carefully, I need you to lead everyone towards the ambush!** Jack called out **What are you crazy? Why should I trust you!** Adelaide growled before immediately feeling guilty, he had risked his life and the lives of his pack to rescue her and the rest of the girls, she really should give him a break. **I have a plan, but it will only work with the element of surprise, we need them to think they are winning** Jack replied, he understood her feelings but this was more than just them, he had a plan but needed the hunters and dogs in the one place.

Adelaide ran over to a bemused Connor **We need to leave...now** she spoke while dodging an attacking hunter that had obviously finished all his bullets and was now attacking with a silver knife, bad mistake!, she casually swiped his chest killing him instantly. **What? Where did you get an idea like that.** he said in shock **My dad said he has a plan** she said sheepishly, that was probably the first time she had actually called him that to anyone. Connor didn't have any other suggestions, anyway if they bolted towards the ambush, Jack's side where waiting and hopefully now in full health. It might be their only hope!