Chapter Five

Adelaide finally reached her house half an hour later than usual as she felt the need to detour a bit until she got rid of the feeling of being watched. She felt so stupid but a voice in her head had a habit of telling her to do stupid things and she couldn't seem to resist. 'I really am going mad' she thought miserably to herself, 'maybe that's the reason my real parents gave me up?' she questioned herself suddenly feeling herself fall into depression.

She opened the front door and ran upstairs and threw herself down on her single bed and cried relentlessly into her pillow. 'KNOCK KNOCK' her mum chapped her bedroom door, Adelaide sat up and wiped the tears from her eyes with her sleeve, "Can I come in?" her mum asked quietly.

Adelaide sighed and called for her mum to come in, she sat beside her on the bed and took Adelaide's hand and looked at her tear stained face, "Have you been crying?" she asked knowingly. "No!" Adelaide said wiping her face again causing her mum to smile "You can't hide from me, anyway your mascara is half way down your face. You look like Alice Cooper" she finished laughing before walking over to Adelaide's dressing table and taking a few wipes from her tub and handing them to Adelaide.

She didn't know what to tell her mum, or even where to start so she just said that it was just her time of the month, 'That normally worked!' Adelaide thought miserably to herself, sad that she had to fob off her mum so often.

"Well if you need to talk, I will be downstairs cooking dinner. Mary said before leaving Adelaide in her room. She knew that something wasn't right but knew that interfering would only make her more distant that what she was now. Ever since her 16th birthday, Adelaide had become increasingly more detached from them. One day she will tell her the truth about her mother, she was going to tell her when she turned sixteen but as Adelaide's behaviour became even more unpredictable, she felt it best to leave that conversation until Adelaide became a bit more balanced.

Adelaide finally got the hint after only five dinner shouts, four by her mum and one from her dad who told her that if she didn't get down these stairs right now he would come up there and drag her down. Then reminded her of how long her mother had spent in the kitchen cooking a decent family meal.

'Family, what a joke, who leaves their child with their ageing parents and does a runner?' she thought crossly to herself. Suddenly a strange sound left her throat that made her stop mid thought. She went to sit down again but missed the side of the bed and fell flat on her bum with a huge thud. "ADELAIDE!!!" her dad shouted loud enough to startle the whole neighbourhood. "Coming...one sec" she shouted back before standing up again to rub her bum and walk over to her mirror and stared at her reflection. "You growled like an animal?" she spoke in disgust as she stared at her reflection, "DUH" came a response in her head.

This was getting stranger by the day, in a weeks time she could be put in a strait jacket and chucked into a padded cell if she didn't sort herself out.

Dinner was uneventful as usual as her parents tried to make small talk with her but nothing was getting round the fact that she growled and her head just about called her stupid, 'how many people have imaginary Friends at my age, I seriously have to get a grip!' she groaned while stabbing a piece of carbonara pasta with her fork.

After dinner Adelaide sat and watched TV for a couple of hours before saying goodnight to her parents and started for the stairs. "Wait...before you go" shouted her mum and plonked her knitting down on the arm of her chair "I have something for you, I think it might help" and with that she pulled a small bottle out of her cardigan pocket and handed it to Adelaide before panic hit her eyes.

Adelaide looked at the small bottle in her hand and read the label; it was maximum strength sleeping tablets. "I thought you could maybe use a good night's sleep" she whispered not making eye contact with her. "Thank you, I was already thinking about getting some of these" Adelaide smiled genuinely for the first time in ages and felt a glimmer of hope fill her body with the thought of getting a whole nights rest. She left her mum standing at the bottom of the stairs with a huge smile plastered on her face.

She took a long hot shower before pampering herself with her favourite body cream. She dried her hair and put on her baby blue satin slip then popped one of the capsules into her mouth and downed it with a glass of water then lay down in bed and waited for the drugs to hit her system which due to her high metabolism, it didn't take long at all.

She felt her body start to relax, but the more she relaxed the more agitated the voice in her head became, it felt as though her inner voice was pacing in anger at the thought of being drugged. 'What an imagination I really have!' she thought sarcastically, then her eyes started to get heavier and heavier until she couldn't keep them open and she felt her body slowly drift away into a dreamless sleep.

A loud noise startled her and she jumped before switching her bedside lamp on as it was still dark, she squinted at the clock that sat just beside her lamp and picked it up just to be sure it was right, it was 3 o'clock in the morning. She had been asleep for over five hours, more than she has had in ages. But she wished it had read at least 7o'clock instead.

She was suddenly compelled to get out of bed and walk to her window, 'what was that smell?' she thought before it finally hit her...it was the scent from her dream!

Every night after she woke up there was a memory of a smell that reminder her of cinnamon and chocolate and right now that same smell was coming from somewhere outside her window.